Chapter 4: A Bright Monday

The weekend passed within the blink of an eye. It was cold and rainy, and the only thing I did was getting work stuff done. While I was contented with my progress, I couldn't help but wonder - when I talked to Gabi about Johan, had I been too harsh and prejudiced on him? Perhaps he wasn't a manipulator, and I was just being paranoid? I knew, just because I had a bad experience, that not every man was bad out there. I didn't want my past to ruin my life, and I wanted to find love again - someone who was genuine, and who I could spend the rest of my life with. But if I were to find another man like my ex boyfriend again, then I'd rather stay alone for the rest of my life.

I missed the company, the feeling of being cherished by someone, holding hands... but I wanted the right person by my side. Could it be Johan?

I shook my head. You've literally talked to him once... stop these thoughts.

I finished drinking my coffee, put the cup into the dishwasher and prepared for work.

Monday morning, first lesson - German in class 1a. After writing a "P, p" on the blackboard, I asked the children for examples for words with P. Pinguin, Pfannkuchen (pancake), pfeifen (to whistle), Pferd (horse), Pflanze (plant)...

"Great, everyone!" I clapped my hands and grabbed my book. "You'll find the P on page 31 in your red book."

During first break, when I went to the teacher's room, Annika approached me. She was the class teacher of the 1a and had finished her teacher training last summer.

"How is it going, Klara? I hope you had a calm start into the new week with my class."

"Oh, I certainly did", I answered, leaning back and facing her. She was standing at the kitchen counter, preparing coffee. "Your class is so sweet, not as manipulative as the fourth-graders." I chuckled. "I guess your first lessons were exhausting?"

"Don't even get me started." She let her head hang down slightly. "I just had English class in the 4a... it's like I haven't taught them anything this year." "He, she, it, the s must fit", I replied jokingly, smirking. "Perhaps you shouldn't have taken English as a subject if you're allergic to bad English." "I guess it's too late for that." Annika dramatically sipped her coffee. "I will not go through studying and teacher training again. Speaking of which, how have you been? Mrs. Müller told me about you. She said the extra hours you work will 'look good on your applications'." "So far, it's bearable", I replied as she sat down next to me. "I'm mostly responsible for the first- and second-graders, which is easier to me than the other years. Plus", I made a gesture towards the teacher, "Mr. Janczyk is my mental support." He made a small bow, putting a hand on his chest. "I'm glad to be of help." Mrs. Weber, sitting next to me, nudged me suddenly. "Quit the chit-chat. The principal is here."

Finally, it was 5th period - my last one. It was general studies in the 2c - one of the classes I went to the playground with last Thursday. The children were happily working on their posters as I helped them here and there. Seeing them enjoying school made me so happy and fulfilled...

"Alright everyone, the lesson is over! I'll see you tomorrow!"

While everyone went to the wardrobe in the hallway, Luisa, one of the girls, was drawing the last strokes of her Golden Retriever on the poster. "Do you have fun making your poster, Luisa?", I asked her as I was tidying up my desk. She nodded enthusiastically. "Yes! Look, I drew Bruno!" "Is Bruno your dog?", I asked. "Yes!" She put the poster away. "I always look forward to your classes, Mrs Krupin!" Astonished, I looked at her. "Is that so? Why?" "Because you're the best teacher in this school! You're so nice and always listen to us when we have problems! Not every teacher does that."

My heart jumped when she told me that. "Thank you so much, Luisa. That's so kind of you to say." I was moved by what she had told me. Perhaps not everything that happened currently was bad? Just seeing a smile on my pupils' faces was enough for me to make my day.

After saying goodbye to my colleagues, I went outside to my bike. I took off the bike lock, turned on the battery and pushed my bike to the street. When I wanted to get onto my bike, a man with groceries passed by on the pavement opposite to me. "Johan?", I asked. He stopped and turned his head, smiling when he saw my face. "Klara. Good morning. Have you finished for the day?" "Yes, I'm going home now. What are you doing here?" "I was buying groceries. But now I have to go home. My next lecture starts in an hour." "You live around here?" I looked at him, surprised. "I thought you live in Hamburg. You'll need at least thirty minutes to university from here if you go by car." "I prefer living in remote areas now. The city is too busy for me." "Really? I feel the same way. That's why I'm doing my teacher training here on the countryside." I sighed. "Anyway, I won't bother you if you need to go." He looked slightly astonished, but smiled shortly after. "Talking to you is a delight, Klara. See you tomorrow!"

"Goodbye!" He went around the corner into the next street, and I started going home as well. As I was riding my bike, a thought crossed my mind. 'See you tomorrow'? Ah, he probably means the afternoon. But wait- how does he know I'll be there on Tuesdays as well? I've never told him... right?