Chapter 2: (In)voluntarily assigned

"You were being careless."

Why had I thought I would be able to get away unnoticed? There I sat, in the principal's office. Mrs. Müller put on her glasses and went through the paper stack on her table, not looking at me for a single time. I bit my lip before speaking up.

"I'm sorry for the trouble. Tom has been more inquisitive these days -" Inquisitive is a kind word for that little one. "- So I-"

"So you should have paid extra attention to him." Again, Mrs. Müller sorted out her papers, acting like I wasn't even there.

"Mrs. Müller, I think Tom's problems go deeper than this, actually." My heart was racing as I spoke. "I-I assume you heard how he has been treating our staff the past months. I understand that he is only in first grade and wants to explore the world instead of sitting at school, but the way he insults his teachers is unacceptable. I'd like to talk to his parents, if that is possible, because I see no other way for this to end."

Silence. The principal stopped sorting papers for the moment, only blinking. As the silence grew louder, my hands started shaking on my lap.

"Mrs. Krupin, thank you for your concerns. I'd suggest you won't write to Tom's mother, because she will make sure that the authorities will watch over us if we complain about her son. Plus, his well-being is only Mrs. Weber's responsibility, since she is his class teacher. As for you..."

For the first time, she looked at me, with cold, sharp eyes.

"You have other concerns, Mrs Krupin. But you can make up for today's mistake, don't worry." She smiled slightly. I'd have loved to answer with a raised eyebrow, but I wanted to keep my life.

"We are very short on staff in our all-day care. I'd be delighted if you could voluntarily help us out."

I saw my life flashing before my eyes. There goes my time... my time to plan lessons, correct exams and homework and my free time... wait - what is free time?

"Alright."

"Wonderful!" Again, Mrs Müller smiled. "Then I'll put you on the list for Tuesday and Thursday, alright?"

I nodded in silence.

"Then you're free to go, Mrs. Krupin. Enjoy your day!"

How ironic, I thought when leaving the principal's office. It was after 4 PM already, and I hadn't even headed home yet. Today would be a long day.

The following day, a Thursday, I had been tired all day. Usually, I'd get home by 1 PM, but now that I had to stay for the afternoon, there was no end in sight. Even when I drank coffee and my colleagues tried to cheer me up, nothing seemed to help.

I thought my teacher training would be different...

I sighed. Once I finished my teacher training, I could start working at another school, and everything would be alright. At least that's what I hoped for.

My train of thoughts was interrupted.

"Alright, everyone! We're going to the playground today!"

I turned around. It was Mr. Janczyk, who was part to the all-day staff at school. He smiled at me, giving me a gesture to go with them.

As we walked to the playground, he walked next to me. "Don't worry, Mrs. Krupin. The days are getting longer and warmer, so the afternoons we spend with the kids will be endurable."

I smiled slightly, not knowing what to answer. He continued.

"And if you need to work on something you can't finish otherwise, you can do it here. I won't tell anyone."

I chuckled. "Thank you, Mr. Janczyk. I appreciate it."

There was a short silence between us. The children, singing and talking, surrounded us.

"Was your teacher training exhausting?", I asked him.

"Hm..." He started thinking. "Well, it's been around ten years since I finished mine... but it wasn't easy. But if you enjoy your work, it's not that bad." He glanced at me. "And I got along with my boss."

"Don't remind me of her." I sighed.

"Mrs. Müller thinks badly of the new generation. I assume most elders do." Mr. Janczyk shrugged. "It is what is is. Oh, we're there!"

The children rushed to the playground. Some of them approached the other group, playing together.

"I'll go to the ropeway, if that's alright", I said to my colleague. "This playground is quite large, and some of our kids went there."

"Alright!" He smiled. "See you later!"

I walked over to the other end of the playground to watch over the other children from our school. I couldn't use another word with the principal. It was quite cold outside - which is usual for March - but in northern Germany, there was strong wind and lots of rain, which didn't make it better. But today, there was just a cool breeze - no rain, just clouds. I couldn't help but smile. Finally, I could wear my new coat and beret.

"Aren't you the young lady from yesterday?"

I winced and turned around to see who talked to me. I immediately recognised him.

"Yes. You're Johan - am I right?"