Chapter 39: Erase him

Who would have thought my life could have taken such a turn?

I couldn't believe how lucky I was. How lucky I was to wake beside her. I could have stared at her sleeping face forever, looking so innocently with a few hair strands in her face, still deep asleep. She needed me by her side... it was such a new feeling to me. Hearing her say I love you, trusting me with all her heart... I never wanted to ever disappoint her or make her cry. She lifted me up, just like I did to her. I wondered if I would ever find this again, and even if, I didn't want to. She was all I needed.

Being able to be there for her was one of the best feelings I'd experienced so far, just like yesterday, though the occasion was horrific. I had never seen her in such agony as yesterday, her whole body trembling, her voice barely functioning, as she told me how she had been raped by her own boyfriend of two years. Just remembering it made my blood boil, nearly lose my composure. He was lucky he didn't live in this city. Though that wouldn't be able to stop me, anyway. 

I finally decided to get up. Gently, I put the blanket on Klara again, stroking her soft, shiny hair before making my way into the hallway. I went downstairs, a few buildings further, bought bread rolls and brought them back to Klara's apartment, preparing breakfast for her before I'd go. It was about time, even if I wanted to stay so badly. One last time, I glanced at her sleeping face, making me feel a warmth in my heart I hadn't felt in ages.

Would I ever be able to tell her the truth about me? I walked down the street, only ten minutes left to my home. I should tell her in the near future, because she deserved to know who she was dating. I didn't want her to be disillusioned, or even disgusted and terrified by me. I wanted to stay with her, to make sure she was okay, and to protect her so she wouldn't be hurt again... I wanted to hold her again, just like tonight, pull her into my arms and show her what she meant to me, that she was safe with me. At the same time, I couldn't be fully at peace, knowing her ex was running around freely without having suffered from any consequences of his misdeeds.

I'd been through this scenario before, protecting Anna and me from any danger - in my own way, that is. I'd do anything to keep her safe, from killing people to erasing my own existence from her life, just so she could live in peace... but this time, I wouldn't leave. I knew Klara needed me, and I wanted to stay. So I knew what I had to do, even if it meant reviving the old me.

I had to erase him.

"Hey, Dad."

"Leo? You're finally calling again. How have you been?"

"Oh, I'm fine. My exams are stressing me out, but I knew what I was getting into. I have splendid news, however."

"Tell me. I'm all ears."

"Klara came home!"

"Klara? That's truly surprising. How is she doing? She must be in her teacher training, right?"

"Yes. She told us that she still loves her job, though it can be very exhausting sometimes."

"I'm glad that she is okay. I haven't heard anything of her for so many years, after all..."

"And she also brought a man with her. I've never seen such a flawless human being. He's probably in his mid-twenties as well, and he is polite, charismatic and talked so well about Klara... I'm pretty sure they're more than friends."

"I'm happy to hear that. What is your psychological assessment of him?"

"Hm, I don't know. I couldn't see anything that was off about him. His reactions seemed polite, but also genuine to me. Also, Johan said he studies law and is devoted to fight for children's' rights. I assume he had a rough childhood."

"... Dad?"

"Leo... did you just say Johan?" 

"Yeah, that's his name. What about it?"

"What did he look like?"

"He... was quite pale, I guess. Blonde hair, blue eyes, not so tall, formally dressed... he looked very neat. His voice is so soothing, he could sing you to sleep. Why are you asking?"

"... My book, 'Road to a Monster'..."

"... What about it?"

"That monster... he and Klara's friend are one and the same person!"