Chapter 23: Photographs of old stories

As Klara was gone, dancing with her friend, I became quite bored. A few years ago, I'd have watched the people, observing every action, every gesture, to build myself a psychological profile of them. But now, I didn't really care. What was the use of that? I still liked watching the other guests, though - but just for fun, as they sang "Y-M-C-A!" together. I admit it lifted my own mood as well, even if I was a little tired of the ride and waiting for Klara. I just hoped I'd be able to show her the moves I had up my sleeve... just thinking of her stunned expression gave me energy. I was probably looking more forward to it than I should have.

As I walked though the crowd, I spotted the room Theresa had pointed at earlier. The door was slightly opened. Curiously, I came closer and looked inside. There, I found Gabi again. She noticed me, turning around.

"Oh, it's you, Johan."

My eyes moved from hers to her hands, which held several frames.

"Are these other photos?"

She nodded as I stepped into the room, leaving the door ajar. The music was muffled inside the room as I moved closer towards Gabi.

"Yes." She showed me photos of different people who, apparently, had attended these parties in the past. "I sorted out some photos. Some people don't want their pictures hanging there, and for some people, Theresa asked me not to show their pictures on the photo wall. Oh, speaking of which."

She put the other photos to the side and picked up a certain photo. "Look at this one. Have you seen him yet?"

I winced when I saw him, the man standing next to Klara in the photo. "Is that... Erik?", I asked hesitantly. "Yes. I suppose Klara has told you about him." "A little. She said it's in the past, so she didn't want to dig up things that took place so long ago."

I had a bad feeling when I looked at this picture. First of all, Klara had long, light blonde hair, which was certainly dyed. She wore a blue princess dress which looked way too small on her, reminding me of the day she chose her Marilyn Monroe costume. She was smiling happily, though, looking head over heels in love. Erik was a tall man with a handsome face, bright, sharp eyes and dark hair, holding Klara close to him. I knew it was long gone, but I felt uneasy for a moment. Suddenly, Gabi spoke up.

"Well, these pictures belong in the trash, anyway." She observed my face, then continued. 

"Don't worry. That guy will never be a part of Klara's life again. That asshole..."

I furrowed my eyebrows, looking at her again. "Did something happen between the two?"

Gabi raised her eyebrows, pursing her lips as if she tried to withhold other insults.

"He cheated on her."

Clunk. The photo disappeared in the trash.

"I was the one who told her. She didn't want to believe it, but when the evidence was undeniable, she just broke down and has never been the same. Basically, it's my fault they broke up. But it was the right thing to do, even if she suffered from it."

She took the next photo of Klara and Erik, squinting. "I saw him at several clubs and bars from time to time. He must have betrayed her all the time, hanging out with different girls, charming them until they submitted to everything he wanted... I bet he slept with them as well. Klara has always been hesitant when it comes to intimacy, so I guess he looked elsewhere to compensate his urges."

Clunk. The next photo fell into the trash.

"She doesn't deserve this. I hope you're different, Johan." She lowered her head. "She doesn't have anyone else. Her mother broke her, her father was never there, and her ex was the final straw. Well, she might have me, but I live one hour away. So, please don't hurt her."

I was surprised by the things Gabi had told me that day. I kinda figured that Erik must have manipulated Klara in some way, but I didn't expect his actions to be this severe. That was the reason why Klara had been so desperate when I tried to end our friendship. Her self-worth must have suffered under those circumstances, finding out that the only person you had was stabbing you in the back the whole time... thinking about it, I was astonished by the fact that she trusted me so much, even after experiencing this and being left alone by everyone else she ever had.

I turned towards the door. The people were dancing through the night and I spotted Klara in her pink dress, dancing a couple dance with her friend Theresa while laughing. Seeing her like this made me feel at ease again. Suddenly, I felt a hand on my shoulder. It was Gabi, grinning at me. "And now, go pick her up. They're gonna play Michael Jackson soon again."