Chapter 5: Between Trust and Paranoia

Another day, another chance - to get annoyed by the principal, teach the children and see Johan. Most of the day went by as usual, and luckily, the sun was shining, even if it was cold. I guess spring was a little late that year.

Now, in the afternoon, I was standing at the playground, watching the children play. My eyes were scanning the people to find Johan. Wasn't he here today? Oh! There he was, near the football pitch, talking to Luisa. She was gesturing with her hands, enthusiastically, telling Johan about something. As I was approaching them, Johan answered, smiling back to Luisa. "[...] glad was happy about [...]", was the only thing I could hear. I frowned. Were they talking about me? Then, realisation hit me. My eyes widened slightly.

"Good afternoon, Klara." Luisa had already gone back to her friends, and now there was only Johan, smiling at me. "Hey", I replied, colder than I intended to. "I see you and Luisa get along." "She is a sweet girl", Johan replied. "She carries a lot of love in her heart." I couldn't help but let out a quiet "pfft" when I heard his words. "It was you, right?" I turned to him, looking him right into his eyes. "You told Luisa to compliment me."

After a short pause, he answered. "I merely helped her. She truly appreciates you. I just convinced her to tell you." For being accused by me, he seemed pretty laid-back. Too laid-back. But then he tilted his head, smirking, noticing my suspicious gaze. "I'm telling the truth."

"And how did you find out I work on Tuesday afternoons?", I said after that. "I've never told you." "The children told me." Right, I told some of them I was working in all-day care on Tuesdays. I squinted slightly as I was looking at him. He didn't have a reason not to tell the truth. Slowly, I lowered my head. "I'm sorry." "Don't be." Johan smiled, watching the children play. "It's a good thing you don't trust everything people say." "It's not good when it turns into paranoia." I chuckled, even if I shouldn't have.

"LOOK, MRS. KRUPIN! WE BUILT A SAND CASTLE!" The girls from second grade waved at me, then pointed at their creation. I gave them a thumbs up. "It looks amazing! Good job, girls!" I loved to see their proud faces.

"Krupin?", Johan asked curiously. "Are you Russian?"

"My mother is Russian German", I replied. "I don't have much to do with it." "That's interesting", Johan said. "I'm from Czechoslovakia, but I also have both Czech and German ancestors." "Can you understand Czech?", I asked him, astonished by his ancestry. "Mostly", he answered. "Though I'm better in French and Latin." I was impressed, to be honest. He seemed to have a lot of knowledge - I liked it. He spoke again.

"By the way, you said you have your mother's surname, right? What about your father? Is he alive?" He paused shortly. "Or is the question too private?" I shook my head. "No, it's fine. My parents are divorced, and I don't have much contact to my father. We're on good terms, actually, but... how do I put it..."

I didn't want to give too much away about myself. What if he would start researching about me if I told him too much? Though I doubted Johan had bad intentions...

"My father is well-known. Not only in his field of research, but across Europe by now. Taking my mother's surname was a way for me to avoid the spotlight, and to protect our family."

Johan listened carefully as I said these things. "That sounds exciting. I'd like to know more about you, but I understand your concerns."

Why did I feel so understood by him? We were strangers, and he was listening to everything I said. Why did he care? Or did he, really?

"Is there anything you'd like to share about your background?" I smiled at him. "Now I have told you so much about myself. It's your turn." "Oh, I doubt my story is interesting, but if you'd like to hear it..." He made a pause. "In my teens and early twenties, I've been in many parts of Germany. I studied law in Munich, then took a break and travelled around... and then, up until two years ago, I had a medical condition." I frowned at the last sentence. Was he ill? He continued. "But I've recovered, and now I'm continuing my studies."

I knew he had left out many parts of his life, but I didn't mind. I hadn't told him everything, either, and there was no reason to do so. "If you like, I'd love to hear about the places you've been to." Johan tilted his head. "We'll certainly find the time for that. There is plenty of time." He looked at the sky. "Would you like to meet up in a cafe this week? I know a good one." "I'm afraid I'll have to pass." I was sad to reject his offer, but I had to. "I can't afford going out at the moment." "Well", he smiled again, "I didn't ask you to pay. The evening will be on me." With widened eyes, I stared at him. "N-No, Johan, I can't accept that! I really appreciate the offer, but-" "No buts." He held a finger above my lips to silence me. "Don't worry about that. You can return the favour when your finances are stable again."

When I went home, I still couldn't believe it. Why was he being so nice to me? On one hand, it seemed suspicious, but... I couldn't deny that I also enjoyed it. And oh, did I look forward to this Friday. It was a feeling of happiness and excitement, a feeling which I hadn't had for a long time.

A/N: Hey everyone! I hope you're enjoying this story so far. I'm aware there's a lot of establishing going on right now, but Klara and Johan will start to get to know one another very soon. I want this story to be an authentic depiction of what Johan could be like after the ending of Monster. I'm aware his behaviour is slightly different than in the series, and it's intentional. I'll continue this story from time to time. If you like, you can give me feedback on how you like it so far!