Chapter 28: "I'm prepared for everything"

Eventually, July came - the weather was humid and hot, but I was just happy to have some free time - all these preparations and class visits had me struggle, but now I could forget it for some time. I was standing at Hamburg 's central railway station, waiting for Johan.

"Klara!"

He waved from the crowd. I lifted my sunglasses, waving back enthusiastically. "Quickly! The train is leaving in five minutes!" We both went inside the station. Johan chuckled. "We're in Germany, Klara. If the train is supposed to leave in five minutes, we have all the time in the world."

Still, I didn't give in. I literally dragged him through the crowd, down to our platform. And the train was already there, so I wasn't wrong about hurrying up. "What about the tickets?", Johan asked. I picked them out of my pocket, showing him. "Don't worry. I'm prepared for everything."

At first, I had wanted to make a road trip by car, but I quickly realised that was delusional - first, because I didn't have a car, and second, because I was broke. So I had planned just a trip to Stuttgart - with a little surprise for Johan. I didn't even want to think about it because I was nervous just remembering it.

"Are you sure we shouldn't have taken my car?", asked Johan. I sighed, he was so considerate. "It's fine", I answered, "driving so long is exhausting and dangerous." "But it'll be very hot today. Even in the train. At least I can say that from my experience." I giggled. "We'll be fine."

When arrived safely in the middle of Germany - there was another change, so we had to go to another platform. 

"Oh, look." Johan pointed at the sign with all departments. "Our train is delayed by twenty minutes."

Eventually, we sat down on one of the benches at our platform. Luckily, I brought UNO with me, so we could spend the time doing something. But to my dismay, Johan won every single time. Well, I won the last round, but I knew he was letting me win on purpose. He was invincible.

I looked at the clock. "Look, our train should arrive any minute-" but I was interrupted by an announcement.

"Dear ladies and gentlemen, the train ICE987 from - Essen Central Station - to - Frankfurt Central Station - is cancelled due to technical difficulties—"

I rolled my eyes. "They're not serious, aren't they?"

Johan didn't give me a glance, he just stared at the destination board, his gaze cold and icy. 

"That's it."

"That's it?", I asked. He just stood up, carefully collecting the UNO cards.

"We're going to rent a car."

"We can take the next train!", I insisted. "Come on!"

"I'm sorry, Klara. I'm done with this public transport."

"But we paid money for the tickets!" I looked at him with puppy eyes. But to no avail.

"It's not that much. Let's go, we need to find a car to rent."

I had never seen him so annoyed before. I knew his feelings weren't directed towards me - if I interpreted his emotions right, he looked annoyed on the outside, but was just frustrated on the inside. I had noticed him adjusting his appearance  from time to time - correcting the collar of his shirt, putting his hair back in order, trying to withstand the burning summer sun without sweating like crazy (which was hard to avoid) - the day just hadn't gone as planned. I sighed, but couldn't help but smile at his efforts to act so flawlessly. Not that he needed to do it for me, but I appreciated the effort.

We ended up renting a small car in Frankfurt and drove to Stuttgart from there. The view was amazing - the blue sky, the hilly landscape... It felt like home. Even if my memories of home were mostly negative, I had decided to let go of my resentment towards my mother. It was easier for us both - plus, she probably wasn't angry with me if she allowed me to bring Johan over. It was only for one afternoon, anyway... and Leo would be there, too. He had assured me on the phone that he would take the time to join us.

Tomorrow was the day - and when it came, I was drowning in anxiety.

A/N: Hey guys! This chapter is short because I don't want to write any filler (I think that would be boring for both you and me). We'll be progressing faster from now on. I'm so excited to write the next chapters! >.<