Chapter 46: After Dark | END

Thank you so much for 3k views ❤️ This is the last chapter of the story. I hope you enjoy it!

The first leaves started to fall down, one of them flying through the open window, right in front of me. I enjoyed the chilly breeze while doing the dishes in our hotel room.

It was September 2002, one and a half years after Johan and I first met. We had put together our last cents to afford this vacation. I had been so excited that I had jumped out of my seat, being thrilled as if I just won the lottery. At the end of this year, I would finish my teacher training, while Johan would keep studying. We both had kept our respective apartments, but saw each other almost every day, even if it were just ten minutes. The trouble around us had vanished, and we both lived a peaceful life. Looking back from my current view, I couldn't imagine life to be any different.

Then, I felt two arms around my waist, and a kiss behind my ear.

"Hey, babe."

I turned around, facing Johan.

"Oh, you're back already. I didn't even hear you come in."

"I guess I'm good at surprises." He glanced at the sink in front of me. "You're washing the dishes from the hotel? Why?"

"They're not clean. Gabi gave me a lot of intel on hotels and their hygiene." Even in a four-star hotel like this one, I wanted to be sure. I looked towards the main door where Johan came from, trying to find a bag or something similar.

"So, what did you buy?", I asked excitedly. "Can I see it?"

Johan smirked. "Not yet. It's a surprise for tomorrow." I pouted, giving him my puppy-look. "I don't think I can wait until tomorrow..." Johan just shook his head. "I'm afraid I can't say yes, Klara. Wait until tomorrow. It'll be worth it." He took the dish towel, drying up the dishes I had just washed. 

"There will be dinner soon. Let's prepare and go downstairs."

And so we did. Johan took a fresh shirt and formal trousers and went to the bathroom to get changed, while I stayed in the bedroom. This time, we forgot to book a room with two separate bedrooms - the past year, when we went somewhere for a couple of days, we always did that, mainly because of me, but I didn't mind sharing a bed anymore. It wasn't as if he hadn't done that before.

For this vacation, I had taken the best dresses I had, hoping that Johan would like them. For tonight, I took a classy black dress with matching pumps. I just needed to paint over my lips, and I was ready to go. I opened the bedroom door, walking into the living room.

"Johan, I'm ready!"

He was folding the clothes he had previously worn. "Good. Let's go downstairs, then." He glanced at me, his eyes resting on me for a split second until he continued folding his trousers. I knew that he liked the way I looked, and it made me contented to feel so cherished.

When we sat in the dining room, waiting for our food, we raised our alcohol-free glasses. "To us", Johan said, smiling, then looking at me closely.

"You're looking so beautiful tonight."

"Thank you. You too."

He was always looking good, honestly. My favourite look of his was still his Michael Jackson look, but there was no time where he just looked average. I could stare at him all day.

And I didn't realise I stared at him a lot right now, until I noticed him looking back at me.

"So", Johan continued, "did you talk to Leo before?"