34

AMIR

I knock on the kitchen door after about 40 minutes. I heard a lot of laughing and giggling so i'm guessing they're getting along well.

Once Niyah opens the door me and Aidan step inside. They were making a range of nigerian dishes including Kehlani who definitely looked into it.

"This a woman only zone." Sadè says as soon as we enter the room.

"You're barely a woman, you're like 12." I mug her and she mugs me back.

"You're such a child." Niyah laughs before turning back to her phone.

"Y'all done? I want my girl back." I ask, walking towards her. I cover Aidan's eyes since Sadè and Niyah we're looking at their phones and kiss Kehlani quickly.

"Ew, I can still hear you." Aidan puts his thumb down dramatically.

"Aye what happened to Kylie again?" I ask him purposely making everyone laugh but Aidan.

"Who's Kylie?" Niyah asks, putting her phone down now.

"Wellll, I can tell you about Kylie." Sadè calls out making Aidan nudge her.

"How's basketball going?" I ask Aidan and he shrugs.

"Terrible. All the courts run down, I don't have nowhere to train. My school don't even have a real team."

"I can't pay for any classes for you or nothing like that?" I ask him.

"They're all hours away and i'll be the only black kid there, I already got that at school." He replies. I got my siblings in really good white schools, they already had the brains I just had the money. I understood how he felt.

"You know my older brother right?" Kehlani speaks up which makes us all mug her.

"We all know your brother." He replies causing me to chuckle slightly.

"I don't mean it like that, I just mean I could help you with your basketball problem if you're really serious about it." She says and he starts to smile.

"You for real?" He asks, standing up now.

"It's all about you, this what you wanna do?" She asks him.

"Hell yeah, since I was in diapers." He chuckles which makes Kehlani smile.

"We'll talk about it more after all this okay?" She says to him and he nods excitedly.

That interaction just made me like her even more and if her plan really works, I might just have to marry her.

My smile fades once I see someone walk through the door. He pauses once he sees me and I immediately stand up.

"Good afternoon daddy." Sadè walks up to our dad, kissing his cheek.

"Good afternoon unc'." Niyah says, looking up from her phone. She looks at me and starts to leave quickly.

Sadè, Kehlani and Aidan does the same but only Sadè is let through.

"Who are you?" He asks Kehlani slightly aggressively, making me walk beside her.

"That's my girl." I say, looking up to him. He scoffs before looking me up and down.

My dad was a big man and was extremely tall, just like when I was younger I would always back down to him but not today.

"Allow me a minute with my sons but it's nice to meet you." He says to Kehlani and she nods before looking at me.

"Go ahead." I tell her and she leaves.

"Who do you think you are? Coming into my house with this woman-

"Because you're my father i'm not going to disrespect you, but i'm a grown ass man you're not gonna talk to me like i'm not. Whatever you're trying to do here, Aidan don't have to see." I tell him straight up. He was obviously tongue tied and didn't expect me to say that.

"Nah, Aidan should see. Aidan should see the one responsible for the death of his oldest brother." He replies coldly.

"I don't know what kind of fucked up life you lived but you need to blame that shit on YOUR parents, not me. I'm a ki- I was your kid. ME. You've hated me since I was born and you've been looking for someone to bury your pain in. You know Ajani didn't die because of me." I shout in his face as tears stream down my face.

Aidan attempts to leave the room once again but my dad stops him.

"Aidan you wanna end up like Ajani? Huh?" He turns to Aidan who was just looking at the floor.

"I did more for Aidan in 3 years than you've done for him his whole life." I shout.

"Put him into a preppy ass white school and you think that's doing shit? I fed him, put clothes on his back." He shouts back.

"Them hand-me downs don't count, they were getting bullied for that shit."

"What cause you got some money now you think you all that?" He laughs hysterically in my face.

"Dad I swear-

"I ain't your fucking father." He snaps causing me to jerk my head back. I feel as if my heart shatters. I always knew he felt this way but to hear him say it?

"Fuck you." I spit, walking out the room. Aidan follows behind even though my dad shouts at him to not.

"Please don't leave Amir." He sighs. We both know what he means by that.

"I'm not leaving, not again. I'll see you soon and we gonna sort out that basketball shit for you right?" I ask, trying to lighten both of our moods.

"Yeah, yeah you're right." He smiles regretfully. I give him a short hug and wipe my tears before walking out onto the porch.

"Go ahead and put some clothes on, walking around here with them tight ass shorts." EJ's bitch ass says to Sadè.

"The fuck did you just say to my sister?" I ask EJ, pulling him by his collar.

"Fuck off me lil' nigga." He attempts to push me off but I punch him in his face making him fall down. I hover over him and continuously punch his face, forgetting about the people around me.

"Get off him man." Aidan's muffled voice says in the background.

Once I get back to my senses I realise im being dragged off of EJ by a bunch of people who's face was now a blur of just blood.

I turn around to see my mother who was now crying. I would turn again but I didn't even want to face my siblings.

I walk back to the car but Kehlani was already in the drivers seat. She looked at my knuckles then back to me before driving off.

I fucked up.