62

DAMIEN

I knew of Niyah, I knew she was seeing my cousin a while ago and that was it. I would always see her on my IG feed and since I was growing my hair out I wanted to see what she was about.

It was also another way to get closer to Darrel and Kano and nem. I wasn't no bitch or nothing but I wanted their validation and I wanted to make money with them.

If I was loyal and if I worked hard, I knew I could. From the brief time i've spent with Niyah, she's been cool.

This is the third time she's done my braids and you could tell she really loved what she was doing and she cared about her clients.

I liked that.

"You need to stop paying me more than you owe." She chuckles, counting the 50 dollars I gave her.

"It ain't nothing, you always treat me well." I shrug, licking my lips.

"I hope this isn't you trying to get in my pants or nothing, i'm not on that shit." She replies, looking at me seriously.

"Nah never that- I mean you pretty an' all but it's cool having just a female friend, you know?" I tell her and she starts to laugh.

"Who said we were friends? Nigga you are very a much an acquaintance." She replies and I suck my teeth.

"I don't know why you stay playing with me, we're basically besties." I say and she starts laughing again.

"Yeah a'ight Damien, I got another client in a hour so i'm gonna go ahead and get something to eat." She says, standing up.

"Shoot i'm hungry too, what you wanna eat?" I reply and she looks at me funny.

"You sure you're not trying to take me on a date or nothing?"

"Honestly, I fuck with you and I fuck with your vibe but that's not my intentions. If it gets to that then cool but im really just trynna get a burger wit' you or sumn'" I reply and she smiles.

"Alright, let's get a burger." She says and I smile too before nodding. I help her clean up until we're basically finished. She grabs her key ring which had about 10 different keys on it.

"How the hell do you know which key it is?" I ask her and she shrugs before inserting a key but it doesn't lock. "Just get a different key ring damn."

"Hollon' it's this one." She replies before inserting another but it doesn't budge again.

"Shorty it's mad brick and you taking long as hell." I reply, putting my hands in my moncler puffer pocket.

"Alright hold on hold on-" A shot is let out and Niyah turns before another one is let out and she falls onto the ground.

"Niyah? Niyah!" I call out, rushing to her. I hear a car drift and I turn but it's way too far away. Oh fuck.

AMIR

Another day, another quiet house. Kehlani wasn't not talking to me and that was the issue. She was talking to me.

It just wasn't her, it wasn't my Kehlani. It was something else. I shouldn't never let Darrel make me think some dumb ass shit like that, I knew it.

And I know hurt her, a lot. I just didn't know what I could do to apologise for it. I fucked up, seriously.

On top of that, Sugarhill has been on a killing spree which brought heat to Kasey and Darrel's 'food business' and Darrel was nowhere to be found.

I didn't want to admit it but I was scared, I was scared i'd lose the people I loved the most. My fiancé and my best friend.

I sat on my couch, ripped off my tie and took a blunt and a lighter out of my pocket like I did every night. I took the camera lanyard off of my neck, it was way too fucking heavy.

I sat it besides me on the couch before lighting the blunt. I sat there, smoking, doing nothing, feeling sorry for myself.

I felt my phone ringing and it was my little brother. He never called me unless it was for food and money or he wanted to check on Ajani.

I'm guessing this time was for food.

"What's good Aidan?" I ask him but he gives me no answer until I hear his quiet sobs come through his phone.

Lord please, i'm begging you.

"Mama told me to tell you that Niyah's in the hospital, she got shot." He says over his quiet cries.

"FUCK!" I shout, standing up. I punch the mirror, mounted on the wall. Ajani starts crying, adding to the irritation I was already feeling.

Roscoe barked, running towards me, panting as if it's a game.

"Am- Amir- son!" I hear my mother's voice through the speakers but I cut the phone. I didn't want to hear shit right now.

I knew Niyah was shot because of a consequence of Q. I couldn't help but blame Kehlani. I just couldn't. And there she was, staring at me in confusion.

DAMIEN

"How you gonna be there when she got shot but you don't fucking know who shot her?" Ace asks me, his veins throbbing and his eyes were red and heavy.

"I'm sorry I don't know, as soon as she got I called the ambulance but they were taking too long so I drove her here." I explain.

"We appreciate it, thank you." His mom and I give her a nod. "You sure you didn't see anything?"

"No ma'am, the car was a dark jeep with tinted windows." I tell her and she sighs. Amir grabs me by the shirt and pulls me aside.

"You don't have to touch me dawg." I say in the most respectful way I can. He glares at me but doesn't say nothing else.

"You've seen my whole family, if anything happens to them i'll kill you nigga. I'll murder you and your little brother Joel." He says causing me to scrunch my face up.

How the hell did he know my little brother?

"You don't have to worry about that, trust me, i'm just here to help." I tell him and he nods. "I'm sorry about Niyah too, she was cool."

"Go home, don't speak about this to anyone." He orders and I start to leave. "Aye Damien." He calls out and I turn back around.

How did he know my name too?

"Thank you." He says and I nod in response before leaving the hospital. I sure hoped Niyah would be good.