~Chapter One~

~
Enjoy
~

"Here you go, sir," you say as you hand the man his coffee.

"It better be how I wanted it," he grumbled as he lifted the cup to his mouth. He took a sip and his frown reformed into a smile. "Wow..."

"Well, sir?" you ask with a slight tilt of the head.

"I thought this would be like every other place, but..." he paused as he took another sip. Still amazed by how good the drink is he continues, "this is completely different! It's better than how I make it!"

"Well, that's the Starry Smiles Café, for you, sir!" you say with a weirdly exaggerated bow.

The man left with a smile. Afterward, your smile faltered. You had offered to work overtime today, but you hoped that the person you're covering for would show up.

You sat down behind the register and pulled out your phone. No one else was there right now, as the sun was beginning to set. Now, not many people show up after sunset, but you can't just sleep since there are a few nightly regulars.

And good thing is, this place has some more advanced lighting systems. Meaning, as the sun sets, the lights grow brighter. When the sun rises, the lights grew dimmer. It was wonderful that the sights didn't need to be directly managed.

And along with that, the lights don't operate at all when the place is closed. So that leaves one small thing for you to never need to do.

The door opened just as you were beginning to get lost in your thoughts. You stood with a smile and looked at who this was. They were new. You've never seen them before, and that said something considering you worked overtime every other day.

"Hello, ma'am. How may I help you tonight?" You respectfully asked. You stood patiently awaiting the answer she will give you.

She yawned before speaking, "Just give me something to get through a night shift."

You nodded and requested she takes a seat. You then walked away to begin her drink. You knew exactly what to make. You've made it many times before.

After you finished making the drink, you went to give it to her. But then you remembered, you don't have her name.

"Here you go," you prolonged the 'go' in a non-rude way to try to indicate to her that you wish for her name.

"Vanessa," she answered with a small smile.

~
Hope you enjoyed this chapter.
Have a great Day/Night/Evening, my fellow weirdos!

425 Words
~