MY COSTAR IS A PERFECTIONIST

Over the next few days Yao Shen is the busiest he has ever been since joining the entertainment industry.

For the first time since signing him, his agency checks on him constantly.

Other than Boss Huang, he gets daily calls from people he has never met, inquiring about his general health and well-being, and reminding of his own scheduled commitments.

It's a bizarre turn of events.

"Yao laoshi, please remember to be well-rested for the costume fitting and promotional photoshoot tomorrow," a woman, with several degrees of seniority in the agency tells him over the latest impromptu phone call.

"The drama's production has confirmed that Yao laoshi is the right size and body-type for the costumes prepared in advance for the promotional photoshoot, but just to stay on the safe side, maybe laoshi shouldn't eat until tomorrow -- to prevent any bloating."

Yao Shen hums in agreement, trying to chew his spicy corn chips as quietly as possible.

After that phone call ends, another one comes through, this time from Bi Jialu.

"Yao laoshi, I've forwarded you the script, were you able to take a look?" she asks, vibrating with excitement even through the line.

Yao Shen did manage a quick skim, but he kept being interrupted by the constant calls from HuaHua staff, reminding him to put one foot in front of the other when walking and inhale and exhale when breathing.

From what he was able to read, the script seems very promising. He was afraid it would be the usual romantic drivel, typical of xianxia dramas, where the setting is just a backdrop for the romance.

It's heartening to see that's not the case, with equal care paid to the secondary characters and their own stories. Both Yan Shuyi and Xue Huan also have their own development and plot separate from their romance.

This might actually be the kind of role that allows Yao Shen to show his talent as an actor -- now he only needs to convince the internet of that.

Ever since he was announced as Yan Shuyi weibo has been in uproar, with all kinds of wild speculations gaining traction over the past days.

Netizens are convinced he either slept his way up to the role, or that he's actually the son of rich parents who bought him the role.

Both camps of people are happy to scourge the internet for clips of his acting and tear him to shreds.

The clip of Xin Hulei tearing into him during 'Lights, Camera, Actors!' has earned millions of views.

Yao Shen can't bear to watch Xin Hulei's vicious criticism, but the comments under the video aren't much better.

Lotus Eater: "How can they play lovers convincingly if the relationship between them is already like this? It's obvious that Leilei hates him!"

JayBird: "Can you blame Leilei? His acting is so stiff, he's holding that actress in his arms as if she smells terrible."

Xin Hulei's fans usually call him Leilei, repeating the last character of his name. Personally, he doesn't strike Yao Shen as "big hearted" or "open and honest." (1)

In fact Xin Hulei is a notoriously private person, saying almost nothing of substance during interviews.

A Demon King would need to guard his true identity closely.

What would all these legions of devoted fans think if they found out their idol was in fact a demon?

Unfortunately, Yao Shen is sure a great number of them would find it incredibly hot.

An even bigger number would never believe such outrageous claims. Ghosts and demons are all superstitious nonsense, obviously they're not real, much less nationally acclaimed actors.

Maybe Yao Shen can use Xin Hulei's true identity against him, if he proves too much of a pain in the ass. Blackmail him, even.

[I would advise against that.]

Yao Shen scowls into the middle distance. "Who asked you?"

The system doesn't answer him.

---

This time, HuaHua provides him and Bi Jialu with their own car for the costume fitting and promotional photoshoot. There will be other photoshoots during filming, of course, but these first photos are meant to show fans how the characters will look.

And hopefully display how much the producers have spent ensuring they look like they've stepped out of the pages of the book.

As soon as Yao Shen steps into the set, a group of makeup artists and stylists descend on him, pulling him down into a chair in front of a huge mirror.

Sitting next to him is Xin Hulei, who acknowledges him with a grunt and then ignores him in favor of his mobile.

It's not as if Yao Shen wanted to talk with him anyway.

Makeup and hair go on for at least two hours, and by the end of it Yao Shen's neck feels sore from all the pushing and pulling on his head.

It's a shock when he looks at himself in the mirror after all the brushes and straighteners fall away.

Yao Shen keeps his hair died a soft caramel colour at the suggestion of Boss Huang, who thinks the idol look suits him. But now he's wearing a waist-length rich black wig, the uppermost part of his hair tied up in a high ponytail, an intricate silver crown holding it in place. Two loose strands of hair fall from his temples to frame his face, powdered and smoothed into jade-like perfection.

Yan Shuyi's characteristic mole has been drawn under the lashline of his right eye, the corners of his eyes faintly dusted with red.

Most of the attention of the makeup team has been focused on his eyes, whose "peach blossom sweetness" the book describes at length every other page.

He does look the part of an ethereal cultivation master, but there's more to Yan Shuyi than his looks, and Yao Shen can only hope that he'll be up to the task.

On the next chair, Xin Hulei is also done with his makeup.

Yan Shuyi chances a look at him.

His neat black hair, longer on top and faded lightly on the sides, is replaced with a luxurious wig. All the hair secured on top of his head in a messy pony tail, several strands falling in front of his face, making him look boyish and wild.

His naturally sharp brows have been darkened and their corners drawn upwards towards his temples, a visual cue of his duplicitous character and evil tendencies.

Yao Shen has to admit Xin Hulei has a face for period dramas and movies. His high cheekbones, phoenix eyes, and sharp jaw give him an otherworldly look, as if he is a man out of time. Someone who took a wrong turn and ended up in a different time and place.

Their eyes meet in the mirror in front of Xin Hulei, who turns sideways on his chair to give Yao Shen a long, appraising look.

Yao Shen refuses to buckle under the scrutiny and meets his stare head on.

His gorgeous face shows no emotion, his thoughts completely hidden behind his dark eyes.

"Yan Shuyi's mole is under his left eye, not the right," he says, tilting his head towards one of the makeup artists standing by.

The man frowns and riffles through the booklet of costuming and makeup instructions, complete with illustrations, that the production provided for all the artists. "It says here that it's on his right eye."

Xin Hulei's gaze remains fixed on Yao Shen. "It's wrong, change it."

After that, he turns his chair around and lowers his eyes down towards his mobile again.

Yao Shen doesn't miss the way the makeup artist doesn't question him further, ready to do as Xin Hulei says.

---

(1) The repetition of the last character of Xin Hulei's given name; means open and honest, candid.