MY COSTAR THINKS I TASTE SWEET

Hearing Jincan's smug tone makes his blood boil.

Yao Shen clutches the phone to his cheek so hard the plastic casing nearly cracks.

"I need to talk with Xin Hulei. Pass him the phone."

"Master is busy right now, he can't come." Jincan's tone is languorous and silky, as if he's luxuriating around in bed.

The mental images that thought conjures only make Yao Shen angrier.

"Tell him I need to speak with him, it's urgent."

On the other end of the line Jincan chuckles. "What good will that do if he doesn't want to?"

"I don't know what game you think you're playing but it's not funny. I'm trying to help him."

"I don't think he wants your help," Jincan says, his words dripping smugness.

At the end of his rope, Yao Shen takes the only course available to him. He starts shouting: "Xin Hulei" into the speaker in the hopes that his voice will be heard through the speakers.

Jincan must have pulled the phone away from his face, because moments later, a distant voice asks, "What's that noise? What are you doing with my phone?"

Yao Shen redoubles his efforts, "It's me, I need to talk with you."

There's some rustling, and then an achingly familiar voice in his ear. "Hello?"

"Hi," Yao Shen answers, a little breathless. "Did you get my messages?"

"No." There is the sound of tapping and then Xin Hulei says, "It seems our entire WeChat conversation thread has been deleted."

There's no need to ask who might have done something like that.

"Well, yeah, Xie Bian and Fan Wujiu are at my place...ready to remove your seal."

There's a moment of silence, and then Xin Hulei asks.

"Why are you doing all this?"

Isn't it obvious? Because I think that everything that happened to you was unfair. Because if I have even a sliver of responsibility in what happened to you I want to make amends.

Because I love you and want to see you well.

"Because it's the right thing to do."

More silence.

And then, "I'll be there in a moment."

---

Yao Shen goes back to the living room, where he stands around with Xie Bian and Fan Wujiu for five minutes of intense awkwardness, until Xin Hulei's usual flurry of flames carries him towards them.

He spares Yao Shen only a sideways glance and nods towards the two Impermanences.

Fan Wujiu smiles sheepishly. "I'm glad we are meeting under more auspicious circumstances this time around."

Xin Hulei makes no comment.

"Let's get this over with," Xie Bian says, with his usual tact.

Xin Hulei lowers one side of his shirt, at the same time that his smooth skin gives way to the burning seal.

Fan Wujiu and Xie Bian make synchronised movements in the air until a black and white seal forms in the air in front of them. Coordinating, they send the blast of energy towards Xin Hulei's chest, making him stagger backwards with the impact.

Like with Tan Liansi, the seal on his chest starts dissolving into the skin around it, until nothing remains.

"There, now you can return to Youdu whenever you want," Fan Wujiu says, grinning. "And we hope you do."