MY COSTAR IS A BAD BOY

Inspector Wei leans back on his chair with a smug smirk. "A moment ago a conglomerate of rich and powerful families was trying to frame you, now it's your personal assistant," he tsks. "You're just swinging in every direction now, you're better than that Yao laoshi."

Yao Shen wishes he'd stop with the buddy routine. This guy doesn't know him, and his condescension is starting to get on Yao Shen's nerves. Maybe that's also part of their strategy, if they can't win Yao Shen over, at least they can annoy him into confessing.

"I don't know why she did it, but she's one of the people who has constant, unimpeded access to my room," Yao Shen says. "Check weibo."

The two Inspectors exchange a look, until finally Inspector Song picks up her phone from the table and starts tipping away with a resigned expression.

Her fingers still after some time, and her eyebrows climb up into the neat hairline of her sleek ponytail. "There is video of you being escorted by us out of the hotel, apparently taken from one of the floors above."

Inspector Wei leans over to take a look at his partner's mobile, but after some time shakes his head. "This could have been taken by anyone staying at the hotel. We gave you the courtesy of not making a scene, but we weren't trying to hide ourselves either. Lots of people saw us."

Yao Shen has to think fast if he wants to get out of here. Luckily, inspiration strikes.

"There's a privacy screen of bamboo around the balcony in my hotel room, to hide the view of the hot tub from the people on the street and the surrounding buildings. If Bi Jialu took that video, you'll see that the bamboos will have been disturbed."

Inspector Song narrows her eyes at him. "You know that doesn't prove anything. Lots of employees hate their bosses, they're well within their rights to enjoy a bit of schadenfreude."

"Except I'm not her boss," Yao Shen says. "I don't pay her salary. She works for the same talent agency who signed me."

Unexpectedly, Inspector Wei pulls out his notepad and riffles through the pages of notes. "HuaHua management, isn't it?"

Yao Shen nods. A little frown appears between Inspector Wei's eyebrows, but he makes no further comment before pocketing his notepad again.

Inspector Song sighs and rubs her temples. "What are you trying to imply here? That your PA, who doesn't really work for you, killed your costar and is trying to frame you for the murder? And for what?"

That's the wall Yao Shen keeps getting stuck on. He has no idea why Bi Jialu would want to do something like that.

As far as he knows, their relationship has always been good. He never mistreated her, and was always polite and courteous.

She didn't look any different to him when they saw each other again after the hiatus.

Not that he talked much with her during that time, not about anything except work.

In fact, Yao Shen couldn't remember the last time he'd asked Bi Jialu how she was.

"I don't know," he says finally, with a shake of his head. "But, I think I don't know much of what's going on in her life right now." He frowns feeling a profound sense of guilt. "I've had other things on my mind."

Inspector Wei snaps his fingers. "Like the wedding plans! Could her motive have been jealousy?"

He's immediately elbowed on the side by Inspector Song who shoots him a warning look. They're still questioning Yao Shen, and he's deviating from their set path too much.

But that means that Yao Shen is right about his early assumption that it was Bi Jialu who called them. Otherwise, they would have dismissed his theory right away.