MY COSTAR WANTS ME TO LIVE WITH HIM

Over the next few days Yao Shen tries to make things right with Bi Jialu.

"I thought laoshi was calling to inform me that another of his relatives died under mysterious circumstances," she says, as soon as she picks up the phone. "Just so laoshi knows most people only have two pairs of grandparents."

Yao Shen makes his excuses and apologies over the course of a few more calls, and eventually she relents and stops giving him the cold shoulder.

She also gives him a warning. "Maybe laoshi should continue to stay out of social media. There's been a lot of speculation online lately. It's not only laoshi who's been missing appointments. Xin laoshi is also been absent from the public eye the last couple of months, so netizens have come up with all kinds of theories."

Yao Shen can imagine, and is happy to stay away from all that.

After Bi Jialu reassures him for millionth time that everything is ready for the return to Hengdian when filming resumes, he finally stops bothering her.

They have a little issue of their own in the apartment right now. The apartment was never all that big to begin with, and is feeling positively cramped with five people in it.

Especially when one of those people is Jincan, who takes up as much physical and psychological room as at least five.

"But I want to be on set," he whines for the fifth time that day, when they're at the table having lunch. "You can't expect the two of us to spend the entire day locked in a hotel room."

Heimao is conspicuously silent on the whole thing. Yao Shen can tell from his lowered eyes that he actually wouldn't mind spending the entire day alone with Jincan.

Xin Hulei decided to stretch his creative muscles in the kitchen, so they're all eating tuna steak with tartar sauce, forks and knifes and everything.

Mostly Yao Shen thinks Xin Hulei did it to get back at Jincan for being so annoying. Since he has to shut up every so often to focus on trying to use his fork and knife the right way.

"What do you think you're going to do on set?" Xin Hulei asks, his tone even. "People on set have jobs."

Tan Liansi snickers. "Well, most of them."

Xin Hulei shoots her a charged look, although his expression remains unchanged.

"I can do anything! I can get people cups of water," Jincan pleads.

"That's not a job, no one does that," Yao Shen says.

Jincan glares at him. "Who asked you?"

Yao Shen raises both his arms in surrender. They've been enjoying a sort of tense peace, and Yao Shen would like to keep it that way.

"Maybe you can say he's your new assistant," Tan Liansi suggests. Now that she's no longer worried about when anyone will recover from their sudden 'sleeping beauty syndrome' she's back to being a little shit, and causing trouble on purpose.

Jincan perks up immediately. "That's it! I could do that. I already take care of Master's well-being. I can do it on set too."

"How do you take care of me?" Xin Hulei asks, deadpan.

Jincan's face crumples. "I don't help Master?"

Heimao wraps one arm around his shoulder and rubs his arm up and down. "Of course you do."

He glares at Xin Hulei, who is no longer looking in their direction.

They drop the issue for now, and the five of them finish their meal in silence, but Yao Shen knows it's not the last he'll hear of it.