MY COSTAR IS TERRIFYING

The Crown Prince continues eyeing the veiled man in shock.

"My own death? I...is this a threat?"

The veiled man shakes his head. The dark veil gives only an impression of his features, but doesn't allow the Crown Prince, or Yao Shen and Xin Hulei to see his face.

Xin Hulei's shoulders are drawn into a tense line. Yao Shen holds his breath.

"Your highness' intervention has saved thousands of lives on both sides of the border," the man says, surprising everyone. "One decision, saved the life of thousands, and millions to come with the years of ensuing peace as a result of the treaties."

"How can you know that?" The Crown Prince asks, completely dumbfounded by the prescient claims of the veiled man.

"The heavens see all."

The Crown Prince has no answer to him, only more stunned silence.

The veiled man is not done talking. "However, it is this kindness that will also lead to your death. The Marquis of Song stood to profit the most from the war on the border, and constantly requested aid from the Imperial coffers that he used for his own gain. Now that the war is over, a steady source of income has dried up."

Yao Shen can tell by the look on the Crown Prince's eyes that everything the man in black is saying makes sense to him. He can also tell that he didn't consider any scenario besides his smooth withdrawal from the Imperial family.

"His Highness has abdicated as Crown Prince, but that has only made him an easier target for his enemies." The man tilts his head to the side, indicating the inn's door. "The moment his Highness steps out of this door, several men waiting in ambush will attack and kill him. The fact that I'm sharing this information won't change the outcome."

The Crown Prince's hands tighten on his dirty travel robes, his eyes growing reddened. "Why are you telling me this?" Almost to himself he murmurs, "I have to reach Frozen Peak sect."

"I'm giving you a choice. You can go outside, and try to evade the fate you've set into motion for as long as you can, until finally dying at the hands of your enemies and entering the cycle of reincarnation like all mortals."

He pauses.

"Or I can give you immortality."

The Crown Prince's head whips up in bewilderment, he tries to meet the man's eyes through the veil. "Why would you do that?"

"Your great deeds qualify you for ascension. You can ascend to the heavens as a minor good, and spend the rest of your existence in perfect union with the Universe."

A muscle twitches in the Crown Prince's jaw. It's clear to Yao Shen that he never considered that an option. Despite his words to his younger brother, his pursuit of Daoism was merely a way for him to find his way back to Xin Hulei -- he hadn't considered anything beyond that. Including the end goal all cultivators seek.

"Or, you can descend."

"Descend?"

"The ghost kings of the Underworld are also immortals. In many respects they aren't unlike gods, except they perform very specific duties: Applying punishment to the deceased, and guiding their souls into reincarnation afterwards."

"You're giving me a choice between heaven and hell?"

Slowly, the man nods. "There are ten ghost kings in Youdu. Currently, the positions for the fourth and tenth king are open."

The Crown Prince frowns. "Aren't the ghost kings immortal?"

"Immortal does not mean invincible. Immortality means there won't be a natural end to your life, there's nothing anyone can do about unnatural ends."