MY COSTAR EMBARRASSES ME

Yao Shen looks in stunned silence at Xin Hulei's drawing of a face with long hair, a veil hiding all features beyond a pair of peach blossom eyes. It's a rather simple drawing, not much artistry to it, but Xi Zirui immediately remembers the dream he had. Twice now.

Him reclining on a luxurious chaise lounge, dressed in suggestive robes, the veil covering his face, that gilded contraption wrapped around his chest...

He assumed it was merely a dream, a manifestation of his recent anxieties.

But now everything is falling into place.

The other Ghost Kings' mocking remarks, about him falling in bed with Xin Hulei instead of killing him.

That Fragrant Peony brothel that Xin Hulei asked him if he'd ever been to.

Xin Hulei's drawing now, resembles what Yao Shen was wearing in the dream.

Except he doesn't think it's a dream, he thinks it's a memory. He can't remember anything else about his past lives, or even his time as a Ghost King. Why of all things, would he remember meeting Xin Hulei in a brothel?

The interviewer chuckles at Xin Hulei's drawing. "A mysterious beauty is indeed a good representation for desire."

Yao Shen feels his face heat up.

Xin Hulei hums noncommittally and slides the drawing pad across the table towards Yao Shen, who tries to school his features into neutrality, hoping his blush isn't too apparent under the layers of foundation.

Thankfully, Xin Hulei doesn't seem to be looking in his direction.

Yao Shen's fingers tremble as he picks up the pad and pencil, his mind running over several scenarios at full speed.

What does it mean that he remembers that supposed meeting and nothing else?

What about the contract he signed with Xin Hulei -- in his own blood, no less -- how is that going to affect 'capturing' Xin Hulei?

The contract doesn't seem to have had any negative impact on him, but how long will that be true for?

Across from him Xin Hulei clears his throat and reads: "Success"

Again, not an emotion, but the biggest problem is that Yao Shen is more flustered now. He starts and stops several times before deciding on something to draw.

In the end he goes with something cheesy, but that will hopefully endear him to drama fans.

Slightly embarrassed, he shows Xin Hulei and the cameras a drawing of a crude banner with "Crimson Promise" written on it, and then a celebratory balloon with 'congrats on 1 Billion views' over it.

The interviewer smiles indulgently. "Yao laoshi is really passionate about the drama, how nice."

Yao Shen cuts his eyes towards Xin Hulei and finds him looking in his direction with no discernible expression on his chiseled features.

He still lowers his eyes in shame. He always feels like Xin Hulei can look right through him, see more than Yao Shen is willing to show.

It's his turn to read, and he gets another actual emotion. "Joy."

Xin Hulei goes back to the drawing pad. A few minutes later he shows a drawing of two cutesy renditions of Yan Shuyi and Xie Huan holding hands, easily recognizable by their different hairstyles and in Yan Shuyi's case, by the mole beneath his eye.

It's a cute drawing, Yao Shen can't help smiling at it.

And then realization dawns on him.

Xin Hulei's vision of joy includes Yan Shuyi, obviously, but desire reminds him of that time in the brothel with Yao Shen?

What does that mean?

What is Yao Shen missing?

---

It's a struggle for him to focus on the silly little drawing game after that, and he's glad when it's finally over and they get to move on to the next interviewer.

This time it's for a game show. They have to answer questions about each other's likes and dislikes as a way of testing how well they know the other person. Once this segment is broadcast during the game show, the contestants will have to guess along, but of course they'll be provided with three options to choose from, including the right one. Yao Shen doesn't have that luxury.

So when the interviewer asks him what is Xin Hulei's favorite dish he draws a blank.

"Noodles," he blurts out after an uncomfortably long silence.

The interviewer smiles benevolently at him. "What kind, laoshi?"

Yao Shen doesn't know anything about Xin Hulei, the man is locked up tighter than a safe box. He wants to reply 'instant noodles' just to spite both the interviewer and Xin Hulei.

Unexpectedly, Xin Hulei helps him out. "It's longevity noodles."

The interviewer beams. "Oh, birthday food! Any reason in particular?" He's obviously hoping Xin Hulei will divulge some juicy bit of information about his personal life, but he can go on hoping.

"No," Xin Hulei says, just as deadpan as Yao Shen expected him to be.

The interviewer looks a little putout by Xin Hulei's dismissive answer. He reads from his cue cards with a strained smile. "Xin laoshi, who is Yao laoshi's biggest inspiration in the industry."

Oh fuck no.

Yao Shen tries to communicate to Xin Hulei via a series of complicated facial expressions that he absolutely must not answer that question.

Xin Hulei spares him only a passing glance, before saying, careless as ever, "It's me."