Prescription.

My accomodations at the 141 base exceeded my expectations, truly.
It was like the traditional barracks or deployment station dorms but with better arrangement; especially when it came to comfort. The bed was well built, the mattress had good density.

The study desk had built-in outlets for USB and other connections. And the shower had great plumbing; hot water in less than thirty seconds! The auto sliding door was the cherry on the cake. The only con? The walls weren't thick, so any commotion on the hallway could be heard.

I was very pleased; since I was expecting less than all that. The International Committee was really injecting good money on them...  So that could only mean that they not only were good at what they do, but they also bring results, and it didn't matter which kind was it. To me, that felt like a serious red flag. But oh, well... Who was I to question?

I've settled my belongings and set up my laptop, looking at everything with satisfaction. I decided for a hot shower, since I didn't have the opportunity to have a proper pause since I landed in here.

After a relaxing bath, I was ready for a restorative nap, but my stomach had other plans, and it growled as loud as it could, making me go on to the unpleasant adventure of finding out where the cafeteria was located. O Theós na to katarásei... What a hassle.

I took a deep breath and decided to lurk around to see if I could figure out the way to my destination. I cautiously walked through the hallway, only to notice that the barracks had their resident names on a metal plaque.
So many unique names with their ranks and battle calls presented as well... It was interesting to read them: "Gaz", "Soap", "Satan", "Ghost"...

I managed to reach the lounge room; a small victory. The tv was on, broadcasting some kind of comedy show. Suddenly I heard loud cackles coming from the large couch in front of the tv; which caught me by surprise. I tried to go on unnoticed, but luck wasn't on my side at all.

- Doctor Cavendish? Is that you?

That menacing sweet voice... Elise was there.
I had no other alternative, I had to respond quickly... Although my true wish was to run back to my barrack and only leave at late night.

- Good evening, Elise. I didn't see you there.

- Who's there, Mo' Leannan?

I instantly felt my face get hot upon hearing a masculine voice. I probably hindered her private time unwillingly... I felt horrible for that.

- That's our new Medic, Johnny.

- Oh, that's cool!

- Did you come out for fresh air, Doc?

- Not really... I was on my way to get something to eat... A few snacks, maybe.

- Do you want me to take you to the cafeteria?

- That would be marvelous if you could do that. I don't know my way around here yet.

- Sure, why not! - she opened a large smile. - We can take you there.

Elise got up from the couch first, and few seconds later, her tv companion followed through.
He was noticeably tall, strong features, had an exotic mohawk cut and bright blue eyes. His muscular constitution and scars clearly proved that he was a Task Force operative. But apparently he was also something else to Elise, because he was trying to hide a bulge. I had to suppress a giggle... They were probably having an intimate moment.

- Oh my God, where are my manners?!? Let me introduce each other: Johnny, that's Dr. Angelina Cavendish; Doc, that's Soap MacTavish!

- Aye, Doc; nice to meet ye.

- Nice to meet you too, Soap. You can call me Angie. It's easier.

- Such cute abreviation! - she hugged my arm; I flinched.

- You better get used to that, Angie... Elise is a serial hugger!

- I have no objections; as long as she don't forget her decorum. - I chuckled.

- No worries! I'm only like this in private and personal functions!

They were on a lively discussion, nearly forgetting my presence between them. Soap MacTavish had a thick Gaelic accent, and often called Elise of a very particular slang, something like 'mo leannan'. It seemed to be some sort of term of endearment, judging by the enamored look in his eyes when talking to her...

It must be nice.

- Here we are, Angie: the cafeteria!

- Thank you so much for your help, Elise. I hope to be repaying you when given the chance.

- Not a problem! Pretty sure that tomorrow morning you will be guided throughout the building by a soldier or an operative.

- Speaking of cafeteria, I just got hungry. - Soap redirected his gaze to Elise. - You want to grab some scran before going for some shut eye?

- You just got two thick slices of cake, Johnny! Two!

- There's still space for something else! Let's go!

They were browsing desserts while I went for a light soup with croutons. Looking from afar, they looked like two teenagers having constant banters and living their lives on their own terms. Definitely a cute couple, though.

I ate my soup like it was the most delectable dish in the whole world, savoring each spoonful. My grandmother was right; a full stomach was the key to happiness.
Elise had left to her barrack, leaving Soap alone with me at the cafeteria. They said goodnight to each other, with Soap kissing her forehead. He chose another cake slice and came to sit with me at the table.

- Seems like is only you and me, Doc Angie...

- I'm just taking a moment before returning to my barrack as well.

- Such a shame. - he grabbed a fork full of cake. - I won't be able to sleep anytime soon tonight.

- I can prescribe you something to sleep tomorrow, if you want.

- Nae... What I really wanted to do so I could sleep well has just left to her room, anno?

I choked on my tea. I was coughing my life away out of surprising embarassment. I didn't need to hear about anyone's private thoughts, but there we were... Like I haven't seen enough at the lounge.

- Oi, are ye okay, Angie?!?

- I'll be fine...!

- Sorry for blurting out these kind of things. Since you're a Doc, I believe you've heard worse.

- That doesn't exempt me from a reaction.

- Good point. - he blushed.

- It's time to see myself out. - I got up from my seat. - A pleasure to meet you, Soap.

- Aye Angie, wait up!

I stopped on my tracks to see what he wanted. His blue eyes held a curious gaze, like he was trying to figure me out. I crossed my arms in a vain attempt to protect myself from his deep stare.

- Yes?

- Your accent... Are ye greek?

- Yes, I am.

- Beautiful accent, eh!

- Thank you, Soap... Very sweet of you.

He smiled in response, making me feel self conscious about my way of talking. I knew he meant well, but I wasn't comfortable enough with any of them. I rushed back to my barrack without looking back, flustered with the fact that a stranger complimented my accent for no absolutely reason.

I immersed myself on the bed, already dreading the next day ahead.