Dopamine.

After several hours keeping an eye on Keegan and Elise while writing the reports, I finally felt the exhaustion taking over my body.
The yawn I just released made my jaw hurt, my eyes were betraying me constantly; staying barely open and vision getting blurred.
I double checked their vitals for an update and requested a soldier to keep watch over them; I couldn't stand another minute awake anymore. I needed at least a nap to withstand the next hours ahead.
While I walked towards the warehouse bathroom for a quick fresh up, Captain Price stopped me in my tracks. With a fatherly grin on his moustached face, he proceeded:

- What's their status, doctor?

- They're out of danger for now, Captain. - another yawn escaped. - Apologies, Captain.

- No need to apologize, doctor. - he took a sip on his coffee mug. - We're all exhausted here... You just happened to suffer a bit more because of us, eh...

- It's only my first field mission, Captain. - I lined out a shy grin. - Once I pick up the pace, it will be a different story.

- Glad to hear that from you. I expect nothing but the very best of my team.

- I thank you for the good faith, sir. Now, if you excuse me... I'll see myself out for the time being.

- Very well... Good rest to you, doctor.

I nodded in response and left for the bathroom, feeling the weight of my tiredness. I washed my face and put my hair into a loose braid; my scalp was hurting from the tight bun. I looked myself in the small mirror and saw how the local weather punished my complexion; my skin not only was strongly tanned but was also looking thick with open pores. "Maláka... I'll have to triple the liquid intake if I don't want to look like a lizard...!", I thought to myself while examining my face with a look of disgust in my eyes.

I took a deep breath and got prepared mentally to endure the long walk towards my tent. Everything seemed quiet and unbothered, but it was all because the whole troop was beyond exhausted and others were wounded. Their lives were always on the verge of the abyss; never knowing when their assigned mission would be their last...

That's when I paused for a moment upon remembering that Soap was one of them.
My skin crawled, chills ran up my spine with a heavy pound in my heart. I didn't stop to consider that one day I would have to deal with him wounded, rendered unconscious, or maybe even...
Dead.
Shit.
I was putting myself into a downward spiral, and I needed to sleep! My breathing was heavy, my anxiety was up the skies. I couldn't close my eyes even if my mere existence depended on it at that moment. Frustrated and annoyed, all I could do for the time being was to get some fresh air and distract my troubled mind until I was able to get some rest. I wrapped myself on my blanket and went for an aimless walk around the premises.

My aimless stroll ended up being short-lived; a broaded shoulder figure was wearing a sleeveless hoodie and cargo pants, sitting over the crates while sipping a bottle of beer. As I approached, I could recognize that it was Soap. I nudged the crate to get his attention, which startled him a bit. I smiled upon seeing his stubbed face and bright blue eyes. He reciprocated, but he seemed tipsy.

- Aye, Angie! Can't sleep?

- Hi, Soap. - I shyly spoke. - Insomnia has conquered me tonight. And you?

- Can't close me eyes for shite. - his accent was strong. - Decided to get leathered, it always worked out for me.

- Getting drunk to sleep... - I scoffed. - How do you cope with the hangover?

- It's just beer, lassie. If it were something stronger, maybe a slight headache.

- "A slight headache"... - I chuckled.