Asklepios.

After a long day learning the ropes around the base and receiving basic paperwork to fill out, I've finally got to see my clinic.
A medium sized office; adapted to attend minor appointments and triages. The equipment was brand new; and had a phone extension directly linked with the base's ER. I had nothing to worry about, everything was running great.

A knock on my door was heard while I was organizing patients' files. It was Soap waving through the door glass. I honestly don't know why he decided to hover around me, but as long as he didn't bring any hassle, I was more than glad to lend my shoulders and ears. He entered sheepishly, looking around with curiosity.

- Chaire, Soap! 

- Aye, Angie! - he smiled. - Greek language is cute! Sounds so nice!

- Thank you, Soap... But don't take Greek people at face value; we are strong just like our language.

- I believe ye. - he was observing my med cabinet. - How's things going for ye here?

- So far, it has been okay. I've spend most of my hours with Mrs. Laswell, learning the ropes. How about you?

- Ah, I've had to welcome some rookies; it was supposed to be LT doing that, but since he got back from the mission early today and got some scrapes to patch on himself, they gave the day off to him.

- LT? - I looked at him, intrigued.

- Yeah, LT Ghost.

I felt my body shudder. I tried to hide my flustering reaction, but all I could do was to sit down on my chair and try to recollect my composure. The air faulted in my lungs and I immediately remembered his aggressive grip and the dominant stare. Soap looked at me confused for a moment, but he promptly figured out what was going on.

- Did ye bump into him, eh?

- Yes... And I can't say it was pleasant.

- Eh... Now you know why I don't like to see Elise with him.

- He's a confusing man to interact with... Or I'm misunderstanding him completely.

- Nae, that's Ghost to ye. - he sat on a chair, manspreading. - He uses psychological warfare on everyone as a form of test.

- He was being rude, that what it was!

- Did he tried anything suspicious?

- Besides grabbing my arm like a creepy assailant, nothing too serious.

- Bloody Jesus! He grabbed you?!?

- Just my arm... And he said that nobody touches him besides Elise.

- Ah, so full of shite! - he frowned, annoyed.

- This personal animosity... Doesn't it interfere on missions?

- To be honest, not so much. - he crossed his fingers behind his head. - We're trained and conditioned to detach personal from professional, although sometimes it slips.

- Just like what was going on at the lounge... You and her seems too close in his absence.

I couldn't believe in myself. I blurted that out so casually, without ever thinking over the consequences...
Soap looked at me with astonishment in his bright blue eyes; caught completely off-guard. His stubbed face got slowly colored in a reddish tone, totally awestruck. I was wrong for bringing the subject with such condescending tone.

- I'm sorry Soap, I didn't mean to bring that up...

- No, it's okay! - he was scratching the back of his neck, trying to avoid my eyes. - You're actually right... Our friendship is weird.

- Does he knows about you two?

- Yes and no.

I was unwillingly invested in that mess, because deep down I knew that their internal issues would put me in an uncomfortable position. Being ahead of the game would spare me from further drama. Soap kept going after stretching his back.

- We have a pretty normal friendship in public, even though LT doesn't hide that he dislike us together. But when he's absent, we get too close.

- Define too close...

- We don't make out or anything! - he raised his hands in surrender. - But we share the bed, we cuddle, snuggle at each other... Like you saw at the lounge.

- You still like her so much, Soap... Why torture yourself? Why not sorting things out and find someone else?

He looked at me with a confused gaze, trying to find words to explain his thoughts. Apparently that wasn't something that a soldier did often. I was honestly concerned about him; putting himself into that kind of situation would only bring suffering and unnecessary fights. After a while he decided to speak, reluctantly.

- It's not that I haven't tried, yanno... But she's different from all the lassies I tried to date or hook up with.

- I'm listening.

- She has something that makes me want to protect her, to make her mine at any costs... But she's married to him. I don't understand why she loves him to the point of marriage; he's legally dead! Has even a tombstone with his bloody name on it!

- You're in love with her or with the idea of what she is to you?

My question brought a reality check to Soap. His angry gaze softened, turning into a saddened glare, followed up with a nervous fidgeting. He knew that the question was painfully rhetorical. An uncomfortable silence had taken place, and all I could do was to wait for his response. I calmly walked towards the door and was ready to leave to another rendezvous around the base. 

- About the answer... No need to rush, Soap. This conversation had a lot to unpack, and I understand you need some time to process what you've just 'defused' in your mind.

- Heh, nice pun Angie... - he chuckled despondently. - But you're right, eh... I need to cool off. 

- We can 'cool off' at lunchtime; how about that?

- Ye a nice lass, ye know that? Helping me so much!

- Efcharistó, Soap! - I've curved out a smile.

- Let me guess, let me guess! It's "thank you", yeah? 

- You stand correct, friend.

- Oooh, I'm learning Greek! - he punched the air, proud of himself.

Soap didn't deserve to live as a third party. He was charismatic and open-minded; a man who deserves the world. From that day, I gained an unusual friend.