Cardio.

My day wasn't being the best already; especially because the most dangerous couple was about to be my patients in my clinic. My nervousness was starting to hinder my thought process, making me have to double-check everything I was doing. I didn't pause to eat or anything, I was all over the place! Such embarassment! I needed to get it together!

As soon as Elise entered, I flinched. Her very presence was unsettling, I didn't know what to expect from her. Her notoriety as the butcherous operative "Satan" was a menace to the instincts; the nature of her deeds being the opposite of her looks was a frightening combination. She was scanning the office with curious eyes, checking every detail without effort. As she sat down, I took a deep breath and addressed myself to her.

- Welcome, Operative Elise! Have you been notified about why this physical evaluation has been scheduled?

- Hi, Angie! - her smile was inviting. - Not really; all I know is that apparently the ER is not accepting scheduled appointments anymore due to staff changing.

- That too. - I got up to put surgical gloves. - According to the higher-ups, the task team needs closer care, taking in consideration the line of work done.

- If the higher-ups are involved, there's ulterior motives. - she scoffed.

- What do you mean?

- A piece of advice, Angie: Take everything you see and hear from them as a grain of salt.

- I will keep that in mind. Efcharistó, Elise.

From that point forward the situation felt somber and awkward. The examinations were stiff and the word exchanges with her turned out to be dry. The suspicious aura that has formed created a distance that I honestly preferred. After a series of basic examinations, I took my necessary notes and released her with a copy of the evaluation form.

- Thank you for your cooperation, Operative, Elise. Have a good rest of your day.

- I thank you for being so kind! - she hugged me in an awkward manner. - Simon will be next, right?

- Yes, he is.

- I ask you, Angie: be patient with him, please. He's wary with strangers, so this situation can go sour. If anything happens, you can tell me right away.

- Thank you for your heads up on him, Elise.

She lined out a warm grin and left, closing the door behind her. All I needed was few minutes to recompose myself before facing the final beast. I sipped my water bottle and tried to reorganize my emotions. I glanced at their case files on my table; I was dreading the moment to read them.

I got jumpy as the door opened, revealing his massive presence in my office. The skull piece attached to his balaclava was throwing me off; that was someone's face remains, and he was wearing like it was nothing...!
I needed to divert my attention to the task at hand; I couldn't circle around particularities that honestly didn't concern me.

I got a hold of his medical files and quickly browsed them to ground my thoughts. His infamy for being repulsed by touch was the most highlighted detail on his nearly empty medical record, filled with side notes detailing cases of aggression against medical workers. The fact that he was married was a mystery to me... He seemed to be an abusive man.

- Welcome, Lieutenant Ghost. Have a sit, please.

- ...Hm. - he sat on the chair, manspreading.

- It's been highlighted on your records that you refuse medical help due to personal repulsions. How would you like me to conduct this examination?

- I told you already. Don't touch me.

- Fair enough... - I sighed, feeling the tension grow within me. - Is it okay if only my tools get in contact with your body?