Chapter 8

The next morning, Charles Wallace and Jeremy were having breakfast in their apartment.

"So you're taking Chad out today?" said Charles Wallace.

"Yeah. The poor lad's gonna need a lot of help for the next couple of weeks" said Jeremy.

"I know. You should have seen Meg's face last night. I don't think she realizes that because she didn't let the doctor touch him" said Charles Wallace.

"Eh? Did she wanna help him herself?" said Jeremy.

"I dunno. She didn't let anyone put their hand near his legs" said Charles Wallace.

Then he sighed and said "Never mind. I gotta help Paul plan his wedding today."

Jeremy got a knock on the door, so Charles Wallace went to answer it.

"You're not working today?" said Jeremy.

"Nah, Mr Petrie said I could have weekends off" said Charles Wallace as he answered the door.

A skinny man with a face similar to Jeremy's was at the door.

"Uh... hi?" said Charles Wallace awkwardly.

"Hi" said the man with a smile.

"Who is it, lad?" said Jeremy.

"I have no idea" said Charles Wallace.

Jeremy approached the guy and recognized him immediately.

"Johnathan! How are you? Come in, come in!" he said.

"Thank you" said the guy.

"What are you doing here?" said Jeremy. 

"I've been listening to your latest records and Mama told me how well you're doing. I just thought I'd come see you" said Johnathan.

"Well, it's so good to see you. I'd like you to meet my roommate, Charles" said Jeremy.

Then he faced Charles Wallace and said "My brother, Johnathan Clyde."

"Well, hey there, Johnathan. Jeremy has told me great things about ya" said Charles Wallace.

"Has he. Well, I'm delighted to meet you, little lad" said Johnathan.

"Right back at you, big guy" said Charles Wallace.

"So, Jeremy, the first thing I should ask about is the staircase of this building. I didn't anticipate a wooden ramp nailed to it" said Johnathan.

"I believe that's my doing, Johnathan" said Charles Wallace.

"Yeah, it is. My partner Chad had a knee operation not too long ago" said Jeremy.

"So my pals and I made him a ramp so he can get wheeled down the stairs" said Charles Wallace. 

"That's awfully nice of you" said Johnathan.

"And speaking of Chad, I'm off to take him to town. Care to join us, Johnny?" said Jeremy. 

"No, I couldn't possibly surround Chad while he's hurt" said Johnathan.

"Well. If you got some time to kill, I'mma go help my friend plan his wedding" said Charles Wallace.

"Well, what I'd really rather do is get myself settled if you don't mind" said Johnathan.

"Not at all. These are just simple plans. And given the state of my things, I'll probably be back sooner than I think" said Charles Wallace.

"The state of things, little lad?" said Johnathan.

"It's kind of a long story" said Charles Wallace.