Chapter 15

"Why are you guys gossiping about me?" said Meg.

"Gossiping? We're talking about a true time, Meg. And, let's face it, your act right now is pretty similar to when your dad disappeared" said Calvin.

"No it's not. Chad's on this planet" said Meg.

"You know what I mean. We haven't seen you this mad since then" said Calvin.

"Well, Sam wasn't there then" said Meg.

"That has nothing to do with it! You're a doctor and you're not doing your job or letting anyone else do it!" Calvin scolded.

Chad couldn't stand his wife getting yelled at, especially by her best friend. He had to at least try to stop it.

"Alright, Calvin, that's enough" he said.

"Enough of what? Of the truth?" said Calvin.

"Calvin, I said that's enough. Now, I suggest you kids get some sleep. You've all hit a bit of a rough spot, so I hear" said Chad.

"We sure have" said Sam.

"Because John has been taken in by Yoko Ono! He has hardly any respect for anyone anymore!" Charles Wallace fumed.

"Now, Charles, losing a friend is something to complain about. But no more tonight" said Chad.

Charles Wallace took a breath. "Okay."

"That's a boy. Now go get some rest, you lot" said Chad.

Calvin, Sam and Charles Wallace left the apartment as they were told.

Meg was about to get to bed herself, but Chad stopped her.

"Meg."

She turned back. "Yes?"

"What was that?"

"Huh?"

"What was that?" 

"I... I don't know" said Meg hanging her head.

"Luv, do you want me to get out of this wheelchair or not?" said Chad.

"Of course I do" said Meg.

"Then how am I going to get out unless you let me do rehab?" said Chad.

"I can't!" Meg almost shouted.

Chad put his finger on her lips. "You can. You're choosing not to."

Meg then let her tears fall. "No. I legitimately can't, Chad; I'm sorry."

Chad wanted to keep his strict tone, but watching his wife cry softened him entirely. 

He reached over and took off her glasses then dried her eyes with his fingers. 

"Oh, sweet... please don't cry" said Chad.

"I'm trying not to, but... I can't help it" Meg whispered.

"Now calm down and tell your man what's wrong" Chad cooed. 

Meg took a breath and decided to explain herself.

"I can't. It's not that I don't want to. It's that I don't know what's wrong. I want you to walk again, but the second those therapy people touch you, I just wanna send them away. Particularly, every time you say ouch."

"Oh, Meg..." Chad whispered.

"I really don't like seeing you in pain. Cal's right; I have done plenty of rehabs. But thinking about my husband in such pain... I just..." said Meg.

She was about to start bawling again, but Chad stroked her hair to calm her down.

"Meg my luv... look at me. I understand how you feel. But when I see you this upset, the only part of my body that really hurts is my heart" said Chad.

Meg hung her head. 

"Would you rather help me yourself?" said Chad.

"Then I'd be the one causing you this pain" said Meg. 

Chad smiled and said "Sweet, I've told you before. Even if I am in pain, your presence makes it worthwhile."

Meg didn't say anything. She just patted Chad's arm to tell him to let go. 

"Maybe you should call it a night too" said Chad. 

Meg nodded then wheeled her husband to bed.