Chapter 24 | Call

L U C A S

I groaned.

It's way to early for this.

'Dad!' I called. 'Please answer your phone, some people are trying to sleep.' I roll over to the other side of the bed and throw a pillow over my head, trying to drown the sound of the phone ringing. But barely two seconds later, the pillow is grabbed from my grip and I was being hit by it on my head.

'Mierda!' I yell, shielding my head, which was pounding because of the hangover. 'Dad!'

'Elliot, darling.' Mom's warning voice came out. 'Leave him.'

Dad groans. 'He was blaming me! It was his phone.'

I jump up. 'My phone?'

'Certainly. Jaxon.' Mom says, reading something on my phone. 'Seven missed calls.'

'Oh, crap-'

'Language.' Mom says sternly.

'-My shirt, mamá?' I ask, gesturing the shirt on my chair, as I try to tame my bed hair. I pull on a pair of jeans, just as Mom hands me my phone and shirt.

I wear my shirt and call back Jaxon. He answers after several rings.

'Oh. Finally! Get your handsome ass to our school. Quick.' He says, hurriedly.

'Everything okay? Is she-'

'I'll explain. But right now I need you here.'

'I just need reassurance, Jaxon. Is she alright?' I try to calm my racing heart, as hurry down the stairs, Mom and Dad trailing after me.

'She's... okay.'

That does not calm me down. At all. It makes me even more nervous. I grab my brown contacts and a beanie and run out the door. 'Mom! Sadie needs me!'

She smiles at me. 'Go get your girl.'

***

'Look, Sadie and Aleena got in a fight. Don't interrupt.' He says, just as I open my mouth. 'The school need a parent, guardian to talk to. Sadie's parents, and so are mine, are out of town. Business trip.' He answers my question before I even ask. 'I can't do this alone, I need someone here, and I didn't know who else to call.'

I nod. My face determined.

'We have to try and get them out of this without consequences, and the only way to do that is-'

'-Lie. I know, Jax. I went to high school too.'

He nods, takes a deep breath. 'Let's get our girls out of this mess.'

I try to act like that sentence didn't get to me, but it did. Our girls. Sadie is my girl, Aleena his.

My girl. She has always been my girl.

We step into the small dingy room, and I immediately see her. 

My girl.

She's sitting there, looking just as pretty as always. Shes wearing a pair of black leggings and a grey hoodie that looks oddly familiar.

Oh. Its mine. 

To be honest, I don't want her to give it back. It suits her. My clothes suit her. 

I feel a tug in my chest. 

I look at her, trying to catch her eyes, but she's in her own world, bouncing her knee up and down, clearly nervous, and I instantly realize why.

'I don't like getting into trouble. It draws attention to me. At school, I like to stay out of drama, boys, everything. I like being invisible. They don't like that, they always find a way to bully me, bring me to the spotlight. They know I hate it, but they do it anyway.' She told me a while ago.