Chapter 31 | Camilla

S A D I E

I hum along to the song, which is blasting at full volume in my room. I put my books back on my shelf, then take them back down, then put them back up. I groan, bored out of my mind.

'Someone please kill me.' I mutter, flopping on the bed, just as the song turns to Adele's song 'Hello'.

Mom and Dad are out of town on a trip, and before they left, Mom made sure to let me know that I can go back home, and that she'll deal with Dad. I have no clue how she will convince him to let me go back home. I've been staying at Jax's house for now, but I miss my room, and I miss Mom.

This is not how I imagined the beginning of my senior year would be like.

It's been two weeks into school, and so far, it's been pretty fine. No one noticed me, thank god, and I've been spending alot of my time with Lucas, preparing for his new song Drown's release.
The song is enchanting, captivating, and unlike anything I've ever heard. The day he showed me it, I couldn't help but cry. Happy tears, of course. 'Cause Lucas has come a long way, from writing songs in his basement and publishing them on YouTube, to becoming a famous celebrity that girls fawn over.

I'm proud of him.

My phone starts ringing and I lunge for it, answering it before checking who's calling. But I have a vague idea.

'Thank God for Lucas Edwards.' I state, as his face comes into view, smiling those smiles that I've learnt to cherish, because they're rare. The smiles that makes his eyes squint and cheeks flush. The smiles that show his dimple. The ones that makes his face light up and glow. The smiles that he only shows me.

'Miss me that much, princess?' He asks, running a hand through his blonde hair. He has very soft hair, I've come to establish. Soft, elegant waves that fall over his eyes and frame his face. A shade too dark to be blonde but to light to be brown.

'Princess?'

I snap back to reality. 'Sorry.' I say sheepishly. 'You're quite distracting.'

'Yeah?'

'You have no idea.' I say, grinning. 'Come pick me up?'

'10 minutes and I'll be there.' He says, before tilting his head slightly. 'You look beautiful, my princess.'

'Oh, stop it, you sap. Quit making me blush.' I mutter, hiding a smile.

He smiles back. 'See you in a bit.'

I end the call and head for my closet, picking a pair of jeans and a hoodie that I don't remember I owned.

Oh, it's Luca's.

I put it on anyway, and that's when I notice a piece of paper hidden between my clothes. I pick it up and gasp quietly.

It's a picture of Ezra, Jax and I. Ezra was around seventeen at that time, Jax and I were six. Each one of us is hanging on one of Ezra's shoulders and he's grinning, looking at us like he wouldn't want to be anywhere else.

I sniffle, wiping at my eyes, still clutching the photo tightly in my hand.

'Don't be sad.' A small voice from behind says, making me jump out of my skin. I turn abruptly to see Lexi, in a pair of yellow egg pajamas, her eyes sad. She holds her arm out and I pull her into my lap, both off us looking at the photo. 'Is that your brother?' She asks, tilting her head to the side, a gesture that reminds me so much of Lucas.

'Yeah.' I sigh, pressing a kiss to her head. 'That's my older brother Ezra.'

She looks up at me, her brown eyes searching mine. 'Do you miss him?'