Chapter 37 | Panic

L U C A S

* Fifteen minutes earlier *

I'm starting to panic.

'Why won't this door open.' I seeth, rattling the doorknob. 'She's locked in there!'

Dad comes bounding down the stairs, giving us a questioning look. 'What's going on?'

Mom bites her lip. 'The door won't budge, the key's inside, the spare is lost, Sadie's in there, she won't answer her phone-'

'It's on silent! She puts it on silent when she reads!' I explain, trying to hide the fact that I'm truly panicking.

Sadie hates being locked up. Ever since she was a kid.

'Is your phone in there?' Dad asks, grabbing his phone.

I nod, confused. Dad taps a couple keys on his phone before putting it to his ear.

I shake my head. 'We've tried that, she didn't pick up. My phone is probably on Do Not Disturb or something.'

He looks unimpressed. 'Why are you panicking? We can get Travis to find us a spare-'

I turn to the door and bang my shoulder against it, trying to get it to open.

It doesn't.

I take a step back and run towards the door again, putting all my weight on it, letting out a strangled yell.

I slump at the door, trying to not let the fear take over. I get up to try again, but a hand is placed on my shoulder, I swivel around and see Dad, holding what seems to be a hammer of some sort, Mom behind him, looking fearful. She reaches out to pull me from infront of the door. Travis comes running towards us, grabs the hammer from Dad, and breaks the handle, causing the door to burst open.

The scene in front of me makes me stumble back.

He's touching her.

'Lucas! H-Help!'

Her scream hits me like a bucket of ice cold water is dumped on my head.

A chill courses through my veins.

My heart hammers in my chest.

I don't think as I run towards Jonah, pulling him away from Sadie and landing a punch right in the middle of his face. He groans, cradling his nose. I push him harshly towards Travis, who grabs him and leads him out. I can hear Dad, yelling at someone on the phone, Travis shouting at Jonah to keep walking. I look at Mom.

'Call her Mom.' I tell her, handing her Sadie's phone. 'And Jax.' I add.

I turn my attention to Sadie.

My heart shatters.

Her hair is tumbling out of her bun, her cheeks red and tear-stained, her eyes screwed shut. She's covering her ears, taking in short breaths. She whimpers, her chest rapidly moving up and down.

A panic attack.

I reach a hand out, and uncover her ears, but she finches and moves away, her eyes snapping open. My hand drops.

'Sadie.' I whisper, as soft as I can. 'Princess.'

She calms down slightly, her eyebrows furrowed.

'It's me, Luca, isn't that what you call me? Princess. I need you to breathe.' I say, more firmly this time.

'Luca? My Luca?'

My Luca.

'Yes, yes. Your Luca, your Luca, I will always be yours, princess, but for now just breathe.' I rush out, still panicked and shaky. I take her hand in mine, trying to ignore the tingles that shoot down my spine, and place it on my chest, taking in deep, even breaths.