Chapter 48 | Seven Years Ago

L U C A S

My life changed when the little fifth grader approached me more than seven years ago.

She was quite small, had her hair braided in two pigtails, with pink bows at the end of each one.

She sat across of me in the cafeteria. My parents had moved my school, again, because the paparazzi was ruining my life. They picked a small school in Beverly Hills, full of more old people than children.
No one knew who I was, and for the first time I was excited for school. Well, as excited as an eleven year old can be.

She started talking. She talked a lot. I found myself thinking, 'Is she going to be my friend? '

She asked me if I knew how to play four square, and I told her yes, so she jumped up and grabbed my hand, ushering me outside.

'I'm Sadie, by the way.' She told me. 'What's your name?'

'I'm Lucas.'

'Lucas...' She says, as if testing out my name. 'I like your eyes, they are so blue, like the ocean, and the sky.' She smiles.

The first thing I though after she said that was 'I like this girl.'

Those two years were the best in my life, we hanged out at school everyday, She didn't care that I was a seventh-grader, or that I was so much older than her, she enjoyed spending time with me, and I enjoyed spending time with her.

It was on her tenth birthday that I knew I was in love with her.

We had only known each other for around four months, but we saw each other almost everyday. She invited me over to her house, and made me stand next to her when cutting her cake. Her best friend and her held the knife together, and at the last minute, she told me to hold on too.

So selfless, so kind, and so beautiful. She never failed to amaze me.

It was two months after her eleventh birthday when I realized I was never going to see her again. I came to school as usual, and I saw her best friend at the gate, he was crying. I asked him what was wrong, and he said with a shaky voice.

'Her brother is gone, and she's in the hospital with wires stuck to her head.'

'A car crash.'

I begged my parents to take me to the hospital, and they did. I had a bouquet of daisies and yellow tulips, because they were her favourite flowers. I saw her parents and their eyes widened when they saw me. They started talking in hushed voices, then her mother smiled down at me.

'She's very sick.' She says sadly. 'She hit her head and doesn't remember some stuff.'

I remember asking. 'Does she remember me?'

She just shook her head and said, 'You cannot see Sadie again, I'm afraid.'

I was heartbroken at thirteen.

She was my sun, my anchor, my saviour, she was mine.

I thought I was never going to see her again.

But here she is, crossing the stage, to stand in front of the podium and taps the mic two times before clearing her throat.

'The day has finally come.' She looks around, her eyes meeting mine for a second, just like I did on my show almost two years ago.

'The day we have been waiting for and dreading at the same time. The day that we say goodbye to this phase of life and start a new one. The day where you separate from your loved ones, to go chase your dreams.'

I feel a surge of pride. My girl, my princess.

'I'm going to give you a small piece of advice to end the year. Fight.' She pauses. 'Fight for what you love, for what you desire, for what you admire. Fight.'

She locks over at her parents, who sit in front of me, Mrs. Parker crying silently.

'First I'd like to thank my parents, for whom without, I would not be the person I am today. My mom, who was my biggest role model, supporter, and best friend. I love you both.'

'Next, I'd like to thank my friends, who I would have not survived school without. Who made me a better person without knowing so. Jaxon Williams, you absolute dumbass, sorry, ma'am.' She adds, turning to her principal, who just waves her off, smiling. 'I love you, no matter how many brain cells I lost to you, I love you.'

Jaxon also has tears in his eyes, and he blows her a kiss.

'Lastly, I'd like to thank my boyfriend, my lover, my one and only.' She locks eyes with me, a small smile on her lips. 'And as he said in one of his songs, Painful Memories, 'Loving you was a disease, a disease I never want to be cured off.' '

She smiles at her peers. 'It has been a wonderful year with all of you, some less than others.' That send a chuckle through the audience. 'I wish you all a bright future, you deserve it.' She gives a bow, and everybody gets to their feet, clapping widely. 'Thank you.'

***

I wait with the Parkers and Williamses, waiting for the graduates to finish saying their goodbyes.

Mr. Parker comes forward, clapping me on the shoulder. 'Good to have you back, son.'

'It's good to be back.' I reply, breaking out into a grin as a body plummets into mine, hugging me.

I pull her away and look at her joyous face. 'Did you like my speech?'

'I loved it.' I say, pressing a kiss to her head. 'I love you.'

She giggles. 'I know you do, you idiot, whining after me for almost seven years.'

I scowl. 'I'm not embarrassed of it, princess.'

'I missed you.' She tells me.

I pull her in and kiss her, and it feels like the first time. Fireworks light up in my body, and I feel her everywhere.

It's so good to be back.

***

These two chapters need heavy editing. You guys have been pestering me for this chapter and I gave it to you, so ignore all the mistakes and weak writing. I swear I will edit it some time in the next two days.