Chapter 19

"Amy? Babe?"

My eyes flung open and I pushed myself off of Kyle's chest.

Jess was knelt down infront of me holding out a cardboard cup and a sandwich.

"The consultant and some other hospital staff, which I'm guessing are surgeons and nurses have just wheeled Amber back up to the ward, so I assume they will be over to speak to you soon"

I nodded my head and took the drink and sandwich off her.

I placed the sandwich on the empty chair next to me and started sipping away at my coffee.

Not long after, the consultant came over and asked me to follow him into a small room.

"Hello Amy, My name is Dr Hussain and I am the consultant who has been working on Amber"

"Is she okay?"

"Honestly, she is very lucky to be alive, we have had to operate on her to stop some internal bleeding so she's been put into an induced coma which we will leave her in  for a few days, her wrist is broken an..."

"What about the baby?" I interrupted

"Because Amber is still in the really early stages of the pregnancy, it's extremely hard for us to figure out exactly what's going on, however we have carried out an internal scan but as I say Amber is really early on so at the minute, it's just a case of waiting. We have also taken a urine sample and some blood to measure her hCG levels over the next few days but again it's a waiting game"

Tears started to fill my eyes and a lump started to form yet again in my throat, I don't think I've ever cried so much in my whole life. Damn you Amber.

"W..w...what happens now?"

"Amber will be left in an induced coma for a few days. She will be monitored and we will perform more tests in a few days time to see if the pregnancy is still viable, Would you like to go in and see her?"

"Yes, please"

I followed the consultant into Amber's room just before going inside, I stopped and motioned to Jess, who was staring at me, to come with me.

I grabbed her hand and we both walked into the room together.

As soon as we entered the room, Jess started crying. I was always the strong girl of our group but I didn't have the words to comfort her so rubbed my hand up and down her back then gave her shoulder a light squeeze.

We sat down in the chairs next to the bed. Amber was hooked up to shit loads of machines, which was a sight within itself.

Jess stopped crying and cleared her throat "What did the consultant say?"

So I explained to her what the consultant had told me, she nodded and grabbed Amber's hand.

"What's going on?" a deep voice asked.

I turned around to find Jake, Kyle and Hannah in the doorway so I also explained to them what the consultant had said.

Hannah walked over to the bed, put her bag on the table and pulled out some baby wipes, she then proceeded to get as much dirt and blood off Amber's face as she could. I wanted to stop her because that's something that me or Jess should be doing but we had all gotten really close to her, it felt like she had been apart of this group from day one and I loved the fact she cared about Amber just as much as we did. She really did fit it and I knew Ambs would really appreciate the baby wipe down and plus she would kill us if we let people see her this way and for a moment I started laughing to myself.

Jake did the same, I think he knew what I was laughing at.

"Well, I think we owe Ambs a massive thank you" Jess said trying to lighten the mood.