👑 Chapter Three 👑

The waggon was nearby, with the temple logo on its door, two doves each holding an olive branch in their beaks. No one dared to approach or inspect it.

He quickly changed his bloody-stained, dirty clothes and used the driver to conceal the corpse, burying it along with the clothes he had taken off. At first glance, he looked as if he were carrying a sack of flour, and no one would suspect that he was kidnapping a girl.

The driver placed her in the front compartment of the carriage, and they set off. The journey from the village to the heart of the capital takes approximately four hours. They encountered no trouble until the carriage came to a halt behind a long line of carriages in front of the main gate of the capital.

Man (wondering): "What's going on, driver? Why have you stopped...?"

Driver: "Sorry, sir... There's a checkpoint."

The man spoke loudly with anger: "Damn it! It's not the right time... Inform them that I have an urgent message that cannot be delayed."

The King's Knights did not allow him to bypass the line and pass the other carriages without a search. The King's orders applied to everyone. The man quickly disembarked from the carriage, hoping to intimidate them by invoking the name and reputation of the temple in his speech.

The man spoke arrogantly: "You do not comprehend the consequences of your actions... mistreating temple men and underestimating them?!"

The head of the capital's knights, Felix Clifford, was present to oversee the search. He was busy giving orders when one of his knights informed him that a man from the temple was causing a disturbance over the inspection. "When will we be finished with these temple rats?" Felix remarked, and then he went to meet the man.

Felix inquired with an annoyed expression: "What is the problem?"

The man replied: "Commander, I have an urgent message for the temple that cannot be further delayed, but your knights have prevented me from delivering it."

Felix scrutinized him suspiciously from head to toe for a moment before speaking.

Felix: "You told my man that you are a knight, but I see no trace of dust on your clothes. It appears you have recently changed them."

The man nervously answered: "Oh, of course, I boarded a carriage."

Felix posed a challenging question: "Do ordinary knights ride carriages or do they ride their horses?"

Upon seeing Felix's doubtful expression, the man replied, "I had to transport an important guest, but I could not find him."

Felix stroked his chin and looked away, trying to suppress his laughter at the nonsensical reason he was given. Then he turned his gaze back to the man and spoke lightly, raising an eyebrow: "How peculiar! An important guest... and you plan to share the same carriage with him since you have no horse?"

The man found himself unable to fill the gaps in his story, and as time passed, Annie began to regain consciousness.

Felix firmly stated: "Search his carriage!"

The man acted as if he were being underestimated, saying: "What are you doing?! This is disrespectful behaviour!"

Felix shrugged indifferently and replied: "Since you claimed to be running late, I will grant you the privilege of being inspected first... There is no doubt that your safety is our priority." He added, "We have received information about a fugitive attempting to enter the capital. He might be hiding in your carriage, putting the temple's image at risk."

The man started stuttering until the knight arrived.

"Sir, nothing appears suspicious," the knight reported. The man wiped the cold sweat from his brow as he flinched upon hearing, "We found only a sack of flour in the front carriage compartment."

The man interrupted: "Ah, that is one of the philanthropists' donations to the temple. Now that you are done, let me—"

Felix interrupted his speech coldly: "Bring that bag."

The man lost his temper and began shouting, "Do you think being the King's nephew will save you from this trouble?"

Felix drew his sword, pointed it at the man's mouth, and spoke in a threatening tone: "If you do not wish to have your tongue severed, remain silent... Your screams are giving me a headache."

The knight brought the bag and placed it before the commander.

Felix spoke to himself, "This does not appear to be powdered flour in the bag. There seems to be something else."

Felix inserted his sword through the cord that tied the bag and cut it open. Upon looking inside, he discovered a young girl who had lost consciousness.

Felix narrowed his eyes, furrowed his brow, and spoke: "Disgusting! Do you collect little girls instead of taxes?"

The man played the fool and replied, "I have no idea what you are talking about."

Felix (ordering): "Guards! Take this scammer and his driver to prison... I will question them upon my return."

Another knight spoke up: "Sir, what should we do with the girl?"

Felix responded, "Bring my horse. I will take care of her, and you continue inspecting the carriage."

Gently, he lifted her from the floor, supporting her back with his arm as she was still partially lying down. His eyes scanned for any superficial injuries and found a few bruises and scratches on her face and hands.

"My vision is blurry, and I cannot discern the face of the person looking at me. Moreover, I have a headache. I cannot respond to what he says. I am tired; I will just close my eyes."

Felix shouted, "She has lost consciousness again... Hurry up and bring the horse!"

He mounted his horse, holding both reins with one hand, and carried Annie with the other. He rode swiftly towards the monastery to ensure she received proper treatment.

Annie could hear two people conversing, a man and a woman, although she couldn't understand their words. Moreover, she couldn't open her eyes; they felt heavy.

Felix was speaking to the nun who had treated Annie's wounds.

Felix, in a hurry: "When will she regain consciousness, ma'am?"

The nun explained: "Apart from bruises and scratches, she sustained a blow to the back of her head, resulting in a bruise and bleeding... but nothing serious."

Felix nodded: "Thank you for your efforts."

The nun took the water bowl and the soiled rags and left the room, while Felix remained standing near Annie's bed, silently contemplating her face.

"I have visited many provinces and places in the kingdom; however, I have never seen a person with such distinctive features that appear foreign, like a sculpture crafted by the kingdom's finest sculptors. She has a petite, arched nose, a high forehead, fair skin, rosy cheeks resembling strawberries, and blonde hair cascading over her shoulders like a doll. However, her attire suggests that she may have been sold as a slave."

Not long after Annie opened her eyes, she gazed at the wooden ceiling. Her bed was positioned near the window, and the setting sun cast its orange rays into the room, creating a majestic aesthetic scene.

She adjusted her sitting position and began to look around, her face filled with confusion. "Where am I?" It took her a while to process what had happened, but she couldn't comprehend it. The room was empty, and her wounds had been bandaged. Someone had cared for her and saved her. Summoning her strength, she attempted to walk towards the door, but she lost her balance and nearly fell. Just in time, Felix entered the room and caught her.

Felix, holding her gently, said, "Be careful, miss! ... Are you alright?"

He helped her up and guided her back to the bed. As Annie looked at him, she realised that he was a good person, which made her feel safe and at ease.

Annie: "Oh! ... My head! ... Without a doubt, you brought me here. Thank you, sir."

Although her face was pale, her grateful smile could not be concealed.

Felix brought a chair and placed it in front of her, preparing to discuss the incident.

Felix: "It is my pleasure, Miss! ... My name is Felix Maximilian Clifford, the head of the knights in the capital... Feel free to tell me what happened to you."

Annie was surprised to hear these things. How could such an important man save her and personally take care of her treatment? Above all, he seemed genuine, dedicating himself to helping others. Therefore, she had no hesitation in seeking his help.