👑 Chapter Twenty-eight👑

Lord William stood in his study in his new villa, silently staring down at the desolate front garden where the grass had withered away, overgrown with weeds and debris. Before William arrived at the capital, he had purchased the abandoned villa, which originally belonged to his mother, Duchess Beatrice, and brought in workers to start the restoration process. The workers had arrived yesterday, and he kept watching absentmindedly as they worked to bring the house back to life, so his memories.

Upon the king's murder and due to the absence of a legitimate heir, the Royal Council assumed power and issued orders during the Civil Wars. With the unanimous consent of the nobles and the approval of the Royal Council, a decision was made to execute Duchess Beatrice and confiscate her property. The property remained vacant for a while, but during the Empire's economic crisis, it was sold at auctions and other properties to replenish the Treasury.

When William remembered what they had done to his innocent mother, he felt disgusted to belong to such a class whose only concern was worrying about the clothes to wear to parties.

William's eyebrows furrowed as he drew a displeased facial expression, watching the Lancaster family's crest emblazone the waggon as it approached the main gate. Edgar, his assistant, entered the room to inform him about the matter.

William already knew, so he grabbed his coat and thrust his hand into the sleeves, adjusting the collar as he hurried downstairs before William.

As he stepped out, the coachman opened the waggon door, revealing a noble's hand in a black leather glove, holding a cane for support.

William stood still, anticipating his arrival. The noble, exuding charisma and dressed in a tailored suit, reached into his inside pocket and pulled out a gleaming pocket watch, checking the time with a slight grin on his face.

As the nobleman approached William, he noticed the unwelcoming expression on his face, but William made sure to maintain his politeness. With a slight bow of his head, he formally greeted him, refraining from any unnecessary flattery or pleasantries.

"To what do I owe the pleasure of your visit, Your Excellency?" He added, emphasising his full name, Duke Philip of Lancaster. He did not even bother himself with how his father found out that he had arrived since he knew his father had spies everywhere.

Duke Philip chuckled, a sound that seemed devoid of honest humour. "There's no need for formalities; should I constantly keep reminding you that I'm your father?" He gestured towards the overgrown garden with his cane. "It's been a long time; I still recall the memories of you and your sister, Margret, playing hide and seek around the place."

He continued mocking as William remained silent. "So tell me, Lord William of Lancaster, are you working on your ambitious project, bringing the turbulent family history back to life? Wasting your money on this abandoned villa while you can buy one in a well-located place"

"Your Excellency," William responded coolly, forcing down the surge of anger he felt at the Duke's words. "Since my dear father turned his back on his family, especially my mother, someone should take the lead."

As the situation took a more personal turn, Edgar took some steps back and instructed the gardeners to take a break, giving the father and son the space to resolve their issues.

Duke Philip scoffed, his smile fading. "Don't you dare throw my actions from the Civil War in my face! I did what was necessary for the kingdom's greater good," he continued, narrowing his eyes. "Don't behave childishly or emotionally. Your mother made a mistake, and she had to face the consequences, as decided by the Royal Council. It took me several years to clean up that stigmatisation, which had been following Lancaster's ."

"I understand that you believe your actions were justified in the name of the greater good of the Kingdom, but I cannot help but feel disgusted that you did not defend your wife," William responded, his tone remaining calm and composed.

Duke Philip remained silent for a while, as if contemplating William's words, although he did not. However, his expression soon hardened, his frowning face masking the rage building inside him. The Duke approached William, and his tone became sharp and mocking.