👑 Chapter thirteen 👑

Annie was fed up with the silence between her and the king. She tried to hold back her nerves, but the king, Alexander, sounded so provocative to her. Annie brought the porcelain cup to her lips, the warmth of the liquid soothing her troubled soul. She took a sip, allowing the rich flavours to envelop her senses, momentarily transporting her to a place of calm.

Her countenance bloomed as if the delicate flavours of the tea were imbuing her spirit with a sense of inner peace. The furrow in her brow eased, giving way to a more relaxed expression that spoke of resilience.

Lost in the moment, she was startled by the king's cold and commanding tone. His words pierced through the air, interrupting the tranquilly of the garden.

"This tea is not meant to be enjoyed in solitude. Take a piece of the cold sweets that have been served. Tea is not water to be consumed alone."

Taken aback by the king's cold and demanding tone, Annie said, Your Majesty, I appreciate your offer."

As her gaze shifted towards the dessert tower, Annie found herself captivated by a meticulously crafted, dome-shaped cake. With a delicate movement, her fingers reached out to claim this tempting masterpiece.

As Princess Annie delicately took a bite of the cold sweet, she was instantly transported to a realm of sweetness. It was a confection she had never experienced before, luxurious and delicious beyond her wildest imagination.

The cake was a different kind of temptation; it distracted her from her goal until a moment of clarity brought her back into focus. Annie reached out for a napkin to wipe away the remnants of chocolate that were lingering on her lips. And once she mustered up the necessary courage and determination, she began to speak.

Annie: "Your Majesty, may I ask why you brought me to the palace?". Since he showed neither objection nor acceptance as she watched his reaction, she continued, " I was content living as a commoner with my father in our humble cottage. We had peace and simplicity until the soldiers from the temple accused us of not paying taxes aggressively...And my life took an unexpected turn, leading me to be adopted by you and brought into this royal world of fine clothes, delicious food, and maids. But, Your Majesty, I want none of this. I seek justice and a return to the life I knew because I do not belong here "

The King, Alexander, asked calmly, with his gaze fixed upon the pages of the book," And what life was that, young Lady?"

As Annie noticed how he did not bother himself to look at her face, she answered his question with words full of passion and a little exaggeration: "I want a life with my father, Your Majesty. A life filled with love and simplicity. I may not have had riches or a noble title, but I had happiness. I long to see my father again and bring back the peace that was stolen from us. "

The king replied calmly," What a touching speech !"

Annie's voice quivered with determination as she boldly presented her suggestion.

"Your Majesty, perhaps it would be better if you married and had a successor instead of adopting a girl from a village. A child of your blood would carry on your legacy and ensure the stability of the kingdom."

A hushed stillness descended upon the room, punctuated by the piercing gaze of the King as his eyes narrowed and he tightened his fingers around the thin teacup's handle. In a sudden eruption of fury, the cup and saucer collided with a resounding clatter, causing Annie's heart to skip a beat.

The king asked sternly," You suggest that I should marry and have a successor instead of adopting a girl from a village?"

Annie swallowed nervously, her heart pounding in her chest. She hesitated for a moment, gathering her courage before responding.