👑 chapter nine. 👑

He got up and shook his hands, saying, "Okay then...Let's go."

He led her to one of the luxurious guest chambers in the palace, where he presented her with a pristine gown and a pair of soft, comfortable shoes to replace her dirty attire. With the utmost consideration, he summoned one of the palace's maids to assist her while he attended to securing her meeting with the King. He gently requested that she remain in the comfort of the guest room until he returned to escort her personally.

Adorned in stunning mulberry velvet attire, she exuded grace and sophistication. A square neckline and bubble sleeve chemise added to the charm of the dress, complete with a beaded lace belt that hugged her hips and a high-low skirt. Her loosely braided hair cascaded down her back, with a big brooch delicately pinned on a ruffled tie, completing her elegant ensemble.

As soon as the maid finished doing her hair, she picked up the dirty clothes and left, leaving Annie alone. Seated comfortably on the sofa, Annie reclined and delicately placed her hands atop her knees, transfixed by the exquisite intricacies of the vase embellishments situated on the table before her.

After a brief period of waiting, not even five minutes had passed, she got bored and decided to leave the room for a while and return before Henrik noticed. She gently closed the door behind her and began her exploratory adventures inside the palace.

She sneaked from one corridor to another; and peeked from one room to the next very carefully. Eventually, she arrived in a grand hall adorned with a magnificent large painting, partially shrouded by an expansive taffeta.

Behold the uncovered part of this exquisite painting, featuring a regal gentleman adorned in resplendent attire, grasping a sceptre in one hand, and with the other tenderly leaning on the back of the sofa, in which a lady sitting, though only her lustrous tresses and delicate shoulder are visible, one cannot help but be enticed to explore the rest of the artwork. Annie herself could not resist the urge to reach out and delicately grasp the cloth, yearning to discover more of this captivating masterpiece, then she heard a man's voice

"What are you doing in this place, miss?"

She bit her lips and squeezed her eyes, confused about the situation in which she was. She turned around and replied spontaneously, "Nothing...I was just looking at the painting."

As Annie observed the man before her, she couldn't help but stare at his unforgettable appearance. He was in his mid-forties, dressed in elegant and refined clothes, emitting a strong charisma. His hair is light gravy-like clouds in windy weather and his eyes sparkle with a hazel colour. Though she expected him to approach her, he instead made his way toward the artwork, prompting her to ponder his mysterious presence.

Then he said in a deep voice: "It seems that the young Miss has discerning eyes ...This painting is considered as the most renowned in the kingdom, but it is incomplete and will remain so."

Annie tilted her head wonderingly: "Why?" The man had strange looks, as if he had seen through her heart, and replied, "Well, young Miss... The last member of the former royal family is not painted here "

Her body was enveloped in a chilling sensation that urged her to flee the situation in any possible way, until Henrik arrived, breathless. As soon as Henrik's eyes alighted upon the sight, his countenance swiftly shifted to one of hostility.

"Grand Duke Philip of the Empire of Valeria!"

Then He caught a glimpse and his gaze quickly turned to the unfriendly one grand Duke Philip, "Henrik is the King's first adviser... I've always heard of you."

Henrik, "Well, that's not my honour."

The Grand Duke answered with a provocative tone: "I was so excited to see you in the Royal conference room and break your arrogance. But it's okay, we have plenty of time. once I'm settled here, you'll put your pride aside, counsellor."