👑 Chapter Twenty-seven 👑

It was a cold and silent morning. Annie felt completely paralysed and unable to move any part of her body. Soon, the maids entered her room and began dressing her and cleaning the chamber. Shortly after, a physician arrived to check on her condition. With a nod of satisfaction, he confirmed that she was improving and only needed to eat well to regain her lost weight.

Lost in thoughts, she absentmindedly caressed the petals of the white lilies that Henrik had brought the previous night.

The door opened, and Henrik appeared. "Annie, Good morning, how do you feel today?"

I tried to smile at his concerns for me, but my expression betrayed me.

"Fine, I guess."

"I've been informed by the physician that your body is improving, but you still need to eat well," he commented with a concerned look.

She gave a quick nod, her face clouded with a gloomy expression.

"If you are ready, I've arranged your meeting with the king, "he said, offering a supportive pat on her shoulder.

⟪ I wasn't ready for the meeting yet. I felt nervous and hesitant about what the king might do in the future. I was more afraid that the hand reaching out to help and support me might be harmed because of me. ⟫

Clutching her red dress tightly, she gracefully accompanied Henrik as they strolled down the grand corridor, which led directly to the revered king's opulent throne room.

With a steady breath, Annie straightened her posture and smoothed down her dress, steeling herself for the confrontation that awaited her. She couldn't afford to show any weakness, not when so much was at stake.

"Let's play the role of the good daughter and be his puppet if that's what he wants," Annie whispered to herself as the heavy door swung open, revealing the king seated on his throne.

Henrik gave her a reassuring squeeze on the shoulder before allowing Annie to enter.

⟪ Without a single word, I understood his intentions... I could read everything written on his face, but this time I managed to smile at him to reduce his worries.⟫

Annie turned her head straight ahead and walked forward, leaving Henrik outside as it closed behind her.

⟪ As I took each step forward, the memories of that fateful day flooded my mind, engulfing me in a wave of emotions. However, unlike before, I no longer walked with uncertainty or dread, for I had already experienced the hurtful loss of everything I held dear. If I were to encapsulate the overwhelming sentiment I felt at that moment, it could only be described as an intense rage. ⟫

"Annie," the king's voice rang out, echoing off the walls of the room. "I trust you are feeling better."

"Some may interpret these words as expressing worry and concern, yet to me, they are nothing more than a hollow question devoid of any real significance." Annie bowed in a delicate curtsy.

"Your Majesty, I deeply appreciate the care you have extended to me; it is thanks to you that I am currently doing well."

The king remained still as he observed her, assessing her body language. She seemed composed, her eyes unsmiling and devoid of emotion, tightly gripping the edge of her dress.

The king had crossed legs, his right hand brought up to his chin, his index finger resting against his cheek, and his thumb beneath her chin, suggesting a gesture of contemplation or interest.

Alexander could sense that she was concealing her emotions and putting up a brave front in front of him, despite her rebellious intentions. "What a bad actress!" he disdained her acting under his breath.