👑 Chapter nineteen 👑

As the day unfolded, Annie was immersed in a world of lessons, each more demanding than the last. With stern expressions and an air of authority, the educators guided her through the intricacies of royal etiquette, history, and politics.

Annie was faced with the incredibly daunting task of memorising the vast and intricate array of family members that constituted the royal tree lineage, along with their countless achievements that had contributed to the illustrious tapestry of the Kingdom's history.

"Ugh," Annie groaned as she stared at the towering stack of scrolls that lay before her, each filled with her distant relatives' names and accomplishments—a labyrinth of names and dates that threatened to consume her very sanity.

"Why do I have to do this?" she muttered, her eyes rolling in exasperation. "I mean, they are resting in peace now... Why should I bother myself to memorise information about the dead of centuries?"

The stern-faced tutor, overhearing Annie's complaint, responded with a measured tone, "Lady Annie, understanding your lineage is not just about the past; it's about the present and the future. It's a matter of respect for those who came before you and a responsibility to those who will follow."

He, unamused, shook his head and added "History is a serious matter, Lady Annie. It's the foundation upon which the kingdom stands. You must treat it with the gravity it deserves."

After the lecture had come to an end, Annie stretched her hand like a cat stretches after waking up from a nap. As she felt the weight of the overwhelming information tapping on her head, she sought solace by resting her weary head on the desk, hoping to find some relief and respite.

But the tranquilly she was experiencing was abruptly disrupted when the etiquette instructor's voice murmured, expressing their desire to be greeted respectfully instead of witnessing Annie in that position.

Annie attempted a curtsy, stumbling slightly, and muttered, "This feels more like a performance... Why can't people just say what they mean?"

The tutor raised an eyebrow but chose not to engage in a debate. "Remember, Lady Annie," the etiquette tutor instructed, "your every action reflects not just on you but on the entire royal family. A princess must embody grace and charm in every situation. Your words and gestures should inspire respect and admiration.

Annie, her mind still hazy with sleep, struggled to keep up, her eyes glazing over as the tutor droned on about proper posture, the art of polite conversation, and the importance of avoiding any behaviour that could be construed as unladylike.

"Lady Annie," the tutor snapped, her eyes narrowing in disapproval as she saw Annie yawing. "I trust you are aware that it is considered highly improper to yaw with a wide open mouth when someone is speaking... This is disrespectful, Miss, really disrespectful!"

The tutor's expression softened slightly, but her tone remained stern. "Accidents happen, Lady Annie," she said, "but it is important to always be mindful of your conduct. A princess must be impeccable in all things, from her manners to her appearance."

Annie nodded at her words, but she continued to make mistakes by confusing cutlery, to the point where her tutor was on the verge of tears after witnessing her using a bread knife to slice the meat and struggling to balance a single book on her head while walking. That made the tutor leave the study disappointed, wiping the sweat off her forehead in disbelief.

My mind was filled with the information I had quickly learned; I had been asked to read books on the subjects we had discussed. As I walked through the palace corridors, my head was spinning. I had not anticipated this level of difficulty... Fortunately, I was grateful that I was able to read and write despite being from a humble background, because my father, Edward, was a talented penman during his adolescence. Otherwise, the tutors would struggle to teach me that. ⟫