👑 Chapter Twenty-nine 👑

After Duke Philip had left, the weather changed and the sky transformed. Dark clouds gathered, hiding the sun and casting shadows over the capital. Soon, a light rain began to fall, adding a delicate touch of moisture to the surroundings. The previously dry roads now glistened under the faint sunlight, reflecting the cloudy sky above.

Marchioness Sophia was seated by the large window, stirring her rose tea on a small table. Normally, different types of macarons would be purchased from the best pastry shop in the kingdom and placed before her, but lately, she had no appetite for them.

With a small sip, the Marchioness released a sigh, bemoaning the whole situation where Felix was house-arrested and did not receive the punishment. Above all of that, he refused to give her a full explanation of what had happened.

Managing the family's estate and Clifford's property was challenging for her, as her husband, Duke Klaus, was frequently away at the frontiers leading the wars.

She took another sip of her warm tea, staring at the raindrops clinging to the glass, gathering and streaming down like tears.

"Your ladyship! You have guests," a maid approached her, disturbing her peaceful moment.

"I'm expecting no guests to visit... Who are they?" the Marchioness inquired, feeling suspicious.

"It is Lord Henrik, your ladyship, with a young lady whom I have never seen," the maid replied.

Henrik had always maintained a good relationship with the Marchioness, serving as the king's, her brother's, first and trusted advisor, as well as Felix's closest friend.

Sitting on the soft sofa in the drawing room, waiting for the Marchioness, Annie felt as though she was sitting on thorns. Despite holding the decree that would release Felix, she felt nervous about his mother's reaction, as it put his position in a tight situation.

The door creaked open slowly, announcing the entrance of the Marchioness. Henrik gracefully rose from his seat, offering a deep bow with his hand placed over his chest in a respectful gesture. Meanwhile, Annie hesitated for a few seconds before executing the practiced curtsy she had learned, feeling a sense of awe as she was captivated by the striking resemblance between Marchioness Sophia and King Alexander.

Sophia's attention was on Henrik as they exchanged inquiries about each other's well-being and recent activities.

⟪ Henrik appeared incredibly impressive as he confidently addressed her, almost as if he were destined to fulfil such a role. This sight left me deeply contemplative, prompting me to question my own place in this world and whether I truly belonged in such a high society. ⟫

Turning his back, Henrik introduced Annie, who was standing behind him. "Marchioness, let me present you to Annie.".

Annie clenched her emerald-green dress tightly as she bowed. She expected a warm response, but instead, she was met with the Marchioness's stern expression.

Henrik repeated her name, emphasising the family name: " Annie of Egmond. Your brother's adopted daughter."

The Marchioness remained speechless. Her stare penetrated Annie, frowning at her eyebrows and scrutinising her appearance. Annie tried to maintain her composure, but she couldn't help feeling a tinge of irritation.

The silence between them was growing increasingly tense, and Annie felt increasingly anxious as the seconds passed.

"Your Ladyship!" Annie managed to speak, her voice barely shaking. Feeling the words refuse to come out of her mouth, she extended the royal decree. "This is from His Majesty."

While Sophia grabbed it while reading the content, Annie kept gazing at her facial expressions, comparing them with Felix's. "Felix looks nothing like his mom." She thought to herself. "No doubt he is a copy of his father." Felix's turquoise eyes and ginger hair contrasted with his mom's golden brown hair and hazel green eyes; their appearances were strikingly evident even in their personalities."

Henrik broke the silence, explaining the situation: " Marchioness! Annie fulfilled her duty by convincing the king to change his mind. "

As Annie prepared to tell the marchioness, she couldn't help but feel slightly nervous. As she gathered her breath, she began to speak, "Your ladyship, there's something I need to inform you of regarding this situation."