👑 Chapter Twenty-four 👑

William, with a mind laden with thoughts, approached the secluded street where his carriage awaited. The gas lamps glow softly, revealing his assistant, Edward, who was attentively waiting.

With discreet movements and a sharp intellect, Edgar, his assistant, opened the carriage door.

"My lord," Edgar acknowledged with a curt nod, his eyes reflecting the keen intellect that made him invaluable. "I've prepared your proper attire."

"Excellent," William replied, his voice laced with a hint of preoccupation, as he stepped into the carriage.

Inside, he shed his commoner's garb, replacing it with the crisp formality of his noble attire. With a final touch, he straightened his collar, and his gaze hardened with resolve. "To the Clifford Territory!" he instructed the driver, his voice leaving no room for argument.

"As you command, my lord," the driver replied.

Edward's brows furrowed slightly, sensing the underlying tension in his lord's face. "Shall I accompany you, my lord?"

William responded, "I'm fine; I have something important to discuss with Marchioness Sophia of Clifford... You reorder the reports in my study to read them when I arrive.

"Your wish is my command, my lord," Edgar promptly replied, his tone filled with unwavering loyalty.

As the carriage began to roll, William fixed his gaze on the people strolling by, his attention capturing their every movement.

In the grand drawing room, Sophia of Clifford glided gracefully, her gown of amethyst delicately brushing against the gleaming oak floor. Adorned with the prestigious title of "Marchioness," she wore it with such natural grace. Her captivating presence exudes refined elegance and razor-sharp intellect, commanding respect from both nobles and servants with a mere glance.

Whispers trailed behind her like shadows, murmuring admiration and seeking alliances as the King's elder sister.

She devoted all her time to overseeing the preparations for welcoming her dear departed friend, Duchess Beatrice of Lancaster's son, Lord William.

The maid, with a resigned expression on her face, shook her head in refusal to the previous task she had been assigned-looking for her son, Sir Felix.

The Marchioness gestured gracefully, indicating that the maid should leave. Then she raised her delicate hand to her forehead, feeling her nerves pounding. Engrossed in deep reflection, she started to gently caress her temple, trying to calm the swirling thoughts in her mind, which caused her brow to furrow with concern.

Her bright hazel-green eyes became sharp and flickered with worry. She tapped a manicured finger against the mantelpiece, the rhythm echoing her anxieties. "I told him yesterday Lord William would come the following day to be on time. For heaven's sake! Felix should finish his work by now!"

"Lord William, your ladyship," the butler confirmed, his voice barely a whisper.

After taking a deep, calming breath, she stepped outside the drawing room to warmly greet him in person.

As the parlour doors swung open, the marchioness entered, her eyes shimmering with a mix of emotions. A warm smile graced her lips.

"Lord William, It has been too long!" She greeted her voice with a melodic whisper, "Welcome to Clifford Manor. We've been eagerly awaiting your arrival.

William stood up from his seat and greeted Marchioness Sophia with a respectful bow. "Your Ladyship Marchioness Sophia," he addressed her with a cool demeanour, his eyes glinting like frost-kissed amber. "It is an honour to see you again after these years."