EPISODE 1

NOTHING mattered. Nothing really ever mattered if I sat here staring at the vast. The city brought me incessant misery, I couldn't quite wrap my head on when the next one would rear its ugly head. Staring at it and admiring its beauty was betraying myself but I couldn't help it.

It was like an endless painting on a canvas, like infinity. Scattered houses, different shapes, heights and paints. I could almost make out the top of the tower, I wondered if anyone ever made it to the top, It had to be about 100ft.

From the tower, I could see the sky in my periphery. I focused on it, having its ever lovely shade of blue - in contrast to myself- making out different shapes, even animals. Mum used to say it was the reflection of things in heaven.

'Did animals go to heaven too?' I'd always ask.

I wondered if she made it there but I could never make out her features. I could never see her warm smile or her ever so straight hair no matter how much I looked. I'd always give up but find myself glancing up at the sky again to humor myself. I just wanted to know if she was okay even though I knew she wasn't.

A tree caught my attention, its branches were so dry, life sucked off it. If I concentrated enough, I'd be able to make out how many leaves it had, which I doubt was up to thirty. It was slanted, I almost saw it laugh at me, maybe because it reminded me so much of me.

I was so focused on it, it blacked out the sounds of the consistent, screamlike whines of the teenagers, all in their rebellious age. I sat where any other dweeb would be. The rooftop. Hiding, running, just didn't care? I couldn't decide which I was doing.

I snapped out of it, lunch break would be over soon, I'd have to face it again. The judging eyes, the snide remarks, I was so used to it,that sometimes it just bored me out of my brain and I wished they'd find more ways to express their disgust.

He was there as always. Liam. The one guy I wouldn't classify as a dweeb but somehow, always shared the rooftop space with me. It's been about a month since I started entertaining his silent company.

Liam was the school sweetheart, the complete opposite of me - though I was once the sweetheart but now just an ostracized freak - he had a charm that had people swarming him like bees. It was so hard not to know him, not like I cared until that day.

I sat here as usual in the same position, knee propped up, head leaned on the scrapped wall - which needed painting more than anything,- the other leg, stretched forward, one hand on the propped knee, the other on the granite floor, looking out at the city.

He'd stormed in that afternoon, banging the door at his back and yelling his heart out with a hand forcefully tugging at his blond-orange hair.

I watched him silently, mulling over whether to ask him to stop or letting him yell out his frustrations till either his throat was clogged or all his hair pulled out. I chose the latter. I was surprised his yells didn't attract his bees or the annoying adults.

He didn't notice me at first, until he slumped down onto the floor, holding the railings like his life depended on it. I recalled an image of me like that sometime when I first ran here, just like him.

He raised his head, locking eyes with me. I was boring holes at him from how much I was staring. He held my gaze, I couldn't break it either, just couldn't look away like I was being pulled in by a spell. I could see it clearly in his deep blue eyes, sadness, frustration, anger... Anger was dominant.

He managed to flash me a smile, a sad smile I'd call it. Only the corners of his lips perking up, his eyes solemn like the joker. I couldn't look anymore, so I looked away.