An old Friend

*Y/N POV*

After leaving the Herbologist, or should I say after he disappeared into the hole, we escaped. Right now, we're in greenery near the garden, running away. After about three minutes of running, I think we've reached a safe distance.

(Y/N): "Ruby," I pant. "Slow down; we are far away" Ruby slows down, and I approach her. "Just, let's take a moment to think, okay?"

Ruby: "Sorry... I just... I want to be as far away from that place."

(Y/N): "You... what did you see? Was it your past self?" Ruby wants to answer me, but our feline magic friend cuts me off.

Curious Cat: "Well, it's good that I found you when I did. And you're all still you. That's not always the case in the Ever After."

Mako: "We would never be in this mess if you didn't abandon us!" he chastises the Cat. "And we wouldn't be stuck in a crazy mushroom house of havoc!"

Weiss: "You mean the mushroom which had the crazy bug guy that drugged us before the hole in the ground swallowed him!"

Curious Cat: "Ah, yes, yes. Alyx had a very similar reaction to yours. She was the same when she saw someone return to the Ever After. But it's not what it looks like... Well, maybe it does a little bit. But not how you think if you're just going to do the same as Alyx. But, it seems to be too late for that" it jumps some mushrooms and finally lands on a path. "Ah ha, we're here!"

We hesitantly follow it until we come across a large pond before them. Several gigantic lily pads slowly float on the water, but we all head to a giant lily pad with a tall flower on top, what looks like levels or floors, and different colors.

Sam: "What... what is this place?"

Curious Cat: "If I were you, I'd hurry up. Or maybe you want to be left behind." Ruby and I start running, finally jumping on our new form of transportation.

Yang: "So, cat, care to tell us how a giant caterpillar falling into a hole in the ground isn't what it looks like" Ruby puts all of our shrunken friends back to the safety of her hood

Curious Cat: "... When we wear out or break, or simply complete our roles, we are called back. But Herb, his heart was hurt. Too weak to listen. So, I gave him a little bit of mine to help him out."

Ryze: "So... you mean he kicked the bucket? Did he go belly up? Does he bite the dust?" Cat looks at him, not understanding. "Oh fuck..." he murmurs, "Is he dead?" The Cat shakes his head.

Curious Cat: "Oh, no, not like that. Well, maybe a little bit, but not at all,"

Yang: "Ugh! Which is it?" Cat gets less amused.

Curious Cat: "Ahem. Now that Herb has been properly called back, he'll be healed and brought back to the Herb he wanted to be before losing himself. And when he comes back, he can find his purpose. Could be the same purpose as before, or an entirely new one."

(Y/N): "So, reincarnation. Got it"

Curious Cat: "I'd say that's close enough of a right answer. He never completely died, but when he returns, he'll be alive again. Just as he was before, though not entirely the same."

Ruby: "When he comes back... will he remember anything?"

Curious Cat: "Hahaha," it lies down, laughing, and then it turns to us. "What would be the point in that?" and now he's stretching. "You people sure are slow on the uptake. I understand that things are fairly different back in your world, and some things... die there. But it's not the same here. We're not like you, and this world doesn't exist on the same plane of rules as yours does. We don't die; we ascend. When Herb ascends, he will have a purpose again."