Back Home (Volume 9 Finale)

So yeah, guess who got their plans canceled by their friends and spent most of their day finishing CtL? Yup, Vera and I. Anyway, here you go, have a good read

~Punkie and Vera

*3rd POV*

As (Y/N) falls through the tunnel of darkness, his life flashes before his eyes. Every moment, starting with his childhood, training with his grandmother, and their travels around Anima. He sees his time in Sanctum, Beacon, Atlas, and finally in Ever After. And with the only thing on his mind.

(Y/N): 'I need to find her and bring her back before... before what exactly...' he starts thinking, 'I... I know I won't be able to protect her every time. That she needs to face some things alone. Only that way can she deal with whatever broke her in the first place. Just like you did, (L/N)' He remembers one day of his life, when he last saw his father alive.

*Flashback 14 years ago. (Y/N), age six*

Young (Y/N): "Dad, you know you're my Hero! But... What does it mean to be a hero?" he asks, lying on his bed, fully ready to catch some Z's.

Albert: "From where does it come from, squirt?" He smiles at his son, sitting on a chair next to the bed, a book titled 'The Girl Who Fell Through the World' in his hands.

Young (Y/N): "It's just... mommy reads me these stories before I go sleepy. And you tell me about all your adventures! I just wonder what does it mean to be it? To be brave and strong like you," The young boy states, excited for another of his father's 'words of wisdom.'

Albert: "Hmm... good question, lil matchstick" He ruffles (Y/N)'s hair. "Well, being a hero means different things to different people. But for me, being one is about putting others before yourself and doing what's right, even if it's difficult. One person's hero could be a villain to other people. Being a hero is more than what your mom reads you to bed" he smiles at his son.

Young (Y/N): "So how do I become a hero like you, Dad? I want to be a strong hero who saves the day like you!" he asks his father with sparkly eyes.

Albert: "Don't worry about it, (Y/N). The most important thing is you'll always listen to your heart and trust your instincts. If something doesn't feel right, it probably isn't. Every hero is different. Hey, why don't you try to dream about what type of hero you want to become? And tell me about it tomorrow?" (Y/N) yawns. "I guess this is a yes" he smiles, stands up, and leaves the room "Goodnight (Y/N). Daddy loves you" As he turns the lights off, he looks back at his son.

Young (Y/N): "Goodnight, Dad. I love you too" (Y/N) dozes off, and Albert closes the door.

Unbeknownst to (Y/N), Albert will never come back home again.

Albert: "You'll achieve great things (Y/N). I can feel it" His scroll then rings, and he opens it to see it is Summer calling him. "Summer, I was just about to call Rave to open a portal for me. Yeah, everyone thinks it's a normal mission. No, not even Elly. I... just said my goodbyes to (Y/N). Sure, we will meet by your house." he walks out of his house and looks back, thinking if it's worth it. "If Summer and I succeed, they won't need to sacrifice too. Do it, Albert, for your wife and your kid..." he walks away into the streets of Atlas and one small alley. "Besides... (Y/N) will be a better Guardian than I was" He spots Raven waiting for him, portal ready to take them to Patch

Raven: "As I live. Albert (L/N) lying to his wife and kid."

Albert: "Shut up, Rave. Take us to Patch" Without any more words, they enter the rift.

*Flashback ends*

(Y/N): "What does it mean... to be a hero..." he sighs, finally landing on a floor made of dark marble. Everything around him is black or dark green, giving the place a mysterious look.