Trouble in Paradise

A whole month had passed since I last saw him. A whole month since that night on top of London. He always texted saying that he was busy. Busy rehearsing for Tour. Busy giving one interview after the other. But too busy to call? Too busy to spare me 10 minutes in a coffee shop? I had known it would be hard staying in contact with him. Hard to see each other a lot and make something out of our friendship, but I didn’t think it would affect me this much. I had turned into some kind of phone addict, always desperately waiting for it to finally ring.

I was sitting over my Calculus homework in Starbucks. Emily was next to me, typing away on her English essay while continuously smiling at her phone and giggling. I was happy for her. Niall treated her like a princess. He picked her up from school to go have a Picnic at Greenwich, telling her that no matter how much time difference there is between them, he’ll always make time. He called her late at night just to say the three words every girl dreamed of hearing out of his mouth. He’d surprise her at home with a candle light dinner or just Nando’s and a romantic chick-flick. He was perfect for her. Just by the way he looked at Emily showed how much her really cared. How his eyes lit up whenever she’d walk around the corner or just by the mention of her name. It was like they had known each other forever and I saw the impact he had on my best friend. She was slowly beginning to become her old self again, before her parent’s accident. I saw her smile more and more, which made me happy in return. Still, every time she told me of all the things Niall did for her, I couldn’t help but feel a sting inside my chest.

How come Niall had so much free time that he could spend time with Emily? How come he made time to see her at least every other day when Louis didn’t have time once in 31 days? It’s true, they were in a relationship, commitment and everything involved, but I thought Louis and I were getting there. I thought that after that night in the London Eye, after I had finally confessed to someone what was wrong with me, I thought we could work things out and be together. I guess I had been wrong. I scared him away with all my troubles.

I let out a sigh and focused back towards my Calculus homework. Suddenly, I felt my phone vibrate in my pocket. A smile made itself across my face and I desperately jumped up to fish it out of my pocket. As soon as I saw who was calling, my face fell. Not him, again.

“Yes Mom?” I answered disappointed.

“Sam, could you do me a favor and stop at the bakery on your way home? I’m missing bread for tonights’ dinner.” Of course, if she needs something she calls. No, how are you darling? How is your day? But that’s just how my family worked. If no emotion was involved, no one could get hurt the way I did.

“Can’t Anna go pick it up? Isn’t that what she’s paid for?” I asked annoyed.

“She had to go home. Family emergency or whatever. Please?” I heard the desperateness in my mom’s voice.

“Okay fine, I’ll be home in an hour.” I hung up and closed my Calculus book, putting it away into my school bag. Emily looked up from her phone.

“Time to go home?”

“Yeah, we needa stop by the bakery and get some bread for tonight.” I said uninterested, keeping my head down to hide the tears that were beginning to form in my eyes. I should really stop stressing out over this stupid boy.