One

"Come and hear, all who fear God, and I will tell of what He has done for my soul. I cried to Him with my mouth, and He was extolled with my tongue. If I regard wickedness in my heart, the Lord will not hear; But certainly God has heard; He has given heed to the voice of my prayer. Blessed be God, who has not turned away my prayer nor His lovingkindness from me."

The words in Psalm 66 were true to Bliss.

God was her all, and His lovingkindness had yet to depart from her.

"Thank You, Lord," She murmured with a gentle smile.

Suddenly, the ringing of the fire engine sounded through the opened window.

Fires were rare in Hickory.

Bliss stood up and watched the fire engine zoom down the street. "God, please be with the victims and the firemen."

Her heart went out to the victims.

Hopefully, it wasn't too bad.

She returned to her hammock and found that the page of her Bible had turned to Psalm 91.

"I hear You, Lord." She didn't mind reading ahead. Psalm 91 was one of her favorites.

"He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will abide in the shadow of the Almighty. I will say to the LORD, "My refuge and my fortress, My God, in whom I trust!"

A yawn passed through her lips, and she understood it was time to stop her reading.

God knew how much she could read and comprehend His Word, so when she yawned, she knew He was telling her she was done for the night.

She used to push through her exhaustion but couldn't remember what she read the next morning.

Eventually, she realized God knew best and surrendered to His timing.

She grabbed her phone and turned off Do Not Disturb, and messages and notifications came piling in.

Only one caught her attention.

'A fire has been detected; the authorities have been notified. Estimated arrival: 11:27 PM.'

"Oh, no." The phone slipped from her hands, and she rushed out of the house after grabbing her purse.

"God, please don't let it be." She pleaded as terror filled her body. "Please, please, let it be something small."

It was settled in her heart and mind that it wasn't.

The alert was sent at 11:20. The fire department was fifteen minutes from her studio. And fire didn't wait for anyone.

Her mind was filled with fear and anguish, yet she was able to drive safely to the studio.

Jesus, take the wheel became literal.

Dark clouds of smoke filled the sky as fire engulfed her dance studio.

Two fire engines were parked near it.

Nothing mattered.

Her dreams were gone.

It was over.

Her legs shook as she walked toward the burning building.

"Miss, get back. Move!" A man sounded from behind her, but his words didn't register.

Nothing would. Nothing could.

She moved forward as the firemen hosed down her beloved studio.

The pictures would be ruined. The memories. Everything.