Twenty

November 17, 2023.

The day came in the blink of an eye.

Not that Connor or Bliss minded.

Their weeks were filled with planning, dating, swooning, Connor assuming his new position as Captain of the Department, and Bliss finding herself intentionally pursuing God.

Everything was prepared.

Well, not everything.

As the almost-married pair swung in the hammock at Bliss's house to commemorate their last night as fianceé and fiancé, Bliss realized something was missing.

"Stop," She wheezed, as Connor was literally killing her with his jokes. "P-please, I can't breathe," She pushed him and caught her breath.

Connor took her hand and kissed it, wearing a cheeky grin. "I've got you breathless already? Those weren't even my funniest jokes," He said but chose to leave her be.

Bliss tolled her eyes and poked his nose. "Your jokes are stupid, Golden. I'm just wheezing like this because I love you," She lied. "You know, I should be more anxious about this, but I just realized we never made plans for a honeymoon." She said pointedly. "Tomorrow's the wedding, Captain Handsome,"

The weeks had been busier than busy.

The thought of planning their honeymoon never came to mind.

Connor had a surprise for his bride. "Don't worry about it, lovely. Tomorrow after the wedding, we'll go to my house. The next morning, we'll be off to our honeymoon. I've got it all under control," He kissed her cheek and chuckled as she blushed.

He was something more than excited about having Bliss as his wife.

Finally.

At last.

They'd be together by day and night.

He'd hold her in his arms as she slept, as he pondered how she became his.

He kissed her temple and smiled, simply in awe of his beautiful fianceé. "I love you, Bliss. Tomorrow marks the greatest day of my life, well, one of the greatest. The greats will continue as we have children," He was giddy.

He didn't think it was possible to be so giddy.

He thought the day Bliss agreed to go out with him was the day he was most giddy.

Nope.

It was today. Tomorrow. And November 19.

Bliss patted his cheek, beaming. "My sweet romantical love, I'm excited! Mrs. Bliss Jefferies, ooh, la la, how sweet," She sighed dreamily. "I hope our kids have your hair color," She flicked his hair. "What if I put some cornrows in your hair for the wedding?"

Connor nodded along. He'd do anything she'd ask. "We'll have four with my hair color and four with yours," He winked. "I don't know what cornrows are, but okay,"

As long as he was able to marry her, cornrows or potato rows would be just fine.

"You'll have to learn how to do cornrows if we're having eight kids, Mr. Jefferies." Bliss nudged him and kissed his cheek. "You've got nice cheeks, Connor. My ginger teddy," She rolled over and snuggled beside him. "Thank God, this hammock can hold us," She laughed.

Connor smiled at her praise. "Where's Lieutenant Bear-y Handsome?"

Being referred to as teddy, made him think of the stupid bear.

He didn't hate it anymore. Not that he ever hated. He was only indifferent to it.

He didn't have a reason to be indifferent now. Bliss would be his wife tomorrow evening. He would cuddle with her and stay beside her in place of the bear.