4

"Someone must've been eager to get to work today. What're you doing here so early? You know we don't get paid hourly, right?"

Kuroo sat down at his desk, moving his head to see yours.

"I know senpai, it's just that I really want to finish all my work early today,"

He quirked a brow,
"What's the occasion?"

"I'm gonna go out with a friend later, and I wanna make sure I've got nothing hanging over me, y'know?"

He nodded, getting started on his work,
"I get it,"

A while later, Kuroo decided to start up more conversation.

"I wanted to thank you,"

You gave him a confused look. You hadn't done anything thank worthy besides letting him be in your presence, so what could it be?
"For what, senpai?"

He leaned back in his chair as he stretched,
"Well after you helped me with my hangover, I got inspired to talk to an old friend, and we were able to reconnect,"

"That's great, senpai! I'm glad I could help!"
You weren't quite sure how what you did helped him out with that stuff, but were you gonna deny praise? No!

You checked your email and found a new message from your supervisor.

A new assignment!

"Your task: interview a member or members of a professional volleyball team. Deadline: a week from today."

Now how the hell were you gonna do that? You could probably ask Kuroo, but he seemed pretty happy about reconnecting with his friend, and you didn't want to bother him.

Well, you'd figure it out later.

"I'm heading out. See you tomorrow, senpai,"

He waved,
"Have a good one, (l/n),"

First you headed home, changing into more casual clothes before heading back out to meet your friend.

"Iwaizumi, I'm here! I hope you didn't have to wait long,"

He stood up to greet you, shaking your hand,
"It was only a minute. I'm glad you're here,"

You smiled before sitting down at a table with him, enjoying the fresh air.

The two of you began talking, telling each other about your respective high school and college experiences, reminiscing about trends that have long since died out.

Eventually he started to talk about his childhood best friend,
"It's still a bit wild to me that he actually moved to Argentina, but then again, he was always committed to his dream,"

He continued,
"You know... he asked me to go with him,"

Your eyes widened slightly,
"What'd you say?"

He chuckled,
"Judging by the fact that I'm here in Japan, I think you can tell. I mean of course I'd visit every once in a while, but I guess moving was a bit too much,"

There were moments when Iwaizumi regretted staying. Oikawa was his best friend, and he thought they'd never grow apart. But he could t just move to another country, he had too much in Japan! He still remembers waving goodbye to his friend as Oikawa walked into the airport. How different would things have been if he went with him?

"Well I'm glad you stayed..."

Your voice shook him from his thoughts.

"...because it meant that we could be friends!"

His heart practically skipped a beat when you said that, a warm feeling spreading throughout his whole body.

He chuckled,
"Huh, I guess you're right,"

Sure, you definitely weren't a Tooru Oikawa, but you sure were a nice friend.

He started to scribble something down on a piece of paper before handing it to you.

"Uhm...?"

"They're the phone numbers of some of the MSBY members. I know with your job that they'll come in handy. Just make sure to tell them that I gave you their numbers, otherwise they'll probably just block you,"

Your eyes lit up as you took a picture of the paper,
"Really?! You're the best, Iwaizumi!"

He enjoyed seeing you smile.

You pulled a Polaroid camera out of who knows where, and got next to the former vice captain,
"Hold still, Imma take a picture!"

You brought your head close to his before taking a photo, and the Polaroid soon exited the camera. After a minute or two, the photo developed, and what a great photo it was!

You handed the picture to your friend,
"You should have this. Think of it as a thank you gift,"

He smiled before holding the picture in his hands, a light dusting of pink on his cheeks.

Staying in Japan was definitely the right decision.

____________________________

Choose one of these MSBY members to befriend

Atsumu Miya

Kiyoomi Sakusa

Shoyo Hinata

Kotaro Bokuto