2

Austin checks himself in the mirror, straightening his blue suit once again. He does not want this job but he has bills to pay and the lack of jobs for ex-military is dismal. He tried to open a food truck but it didn't work out. He is not good at taking orders from uncouth smart-mouthed civilians. He checks the shine on his shoes one more time and walks out of the bathroom.

"Austin Post. I am here to see Jona Mann," he says to the receptionist at the front desk. She lifts her head and then jumps a little when she sees him. Another reason his food truck did not work out. He has a rather intimidating presence. Perfect for the military, but not perfect for customer satisfaction. He would attempt a smile to break the ice but he hates smiling. "Oh...uhh...just one second, sir," she wobbles out. She lifts her phone and dials. "Jona, there is a man here to see you...ok," she says then puts the phone down. "Just through those doors please," she says then steps back, shaking a little. He gives her a tight nod then turns and walks to the doors she had pointed at. Before he gets to the doors they fling open and a small round man with a balding head steps out. He has a broad smile that wavers slightly when he sees Austin though. "Wow! They really were not kidding," the man says. Austin stops in front of him, his features stony.

"I asked them to send me the biggest, scariest bodyguard they had and you do not disappoint. I think I have pissed my pants a little. I am Jonas," Jona puts out his hand then drops it as Austin says and does nothing. "Ok...well...come in, please," Jona waves him into his office. Austin steps in and looks around. "Please, sit. Would you like some coffee? Water?" Jona asks a little frazzled. "No," Austin says sitting down and smoothing his pants, he hates creases. "Sure, sure," Jona says sitting down too and staring at Austin. Austin stares back until Jona goes red and wipes the sweat off his forehead. "You are really intimidating," he says looking away. Austin knows.

"So...tell me about yourself...if you don't mind."

"I do mind."

"Oh, uhh...well this is an interview so we kind of need to talk."

"Have you read my CV?"

"Oh! Yes, I have. It's an amazing CV. You are highly decorated and highly respected. I read your CV like a book."

"Then you know about me."

"Well, I wanted to get to know the real you. What do you like? What are your hobbies? Kids? Wife?"

"I like not talking. No hobbies, no wife or kids."

"Oh...ok, would you like to know anything about me?"

"No."

Jona shifts in his chair uncomfortably and downs the glass of water on his desk. "Is it hot in here?" he asks adjusting his tie and wiping his brow again. "Don't you want to know anything about the company you will be working for?" he asks. "I did my research. Your gas bill is overdue," Austin says. Jona's eyes widen a little and he adjusts his tie again.

"Ok, well, the client we are assigning you to is Angel Knite. I am sure you have heard of her."

"I have not."

"Don't you listen to the radio?"

"No."

"Ok well, she's a singer. Top of her game right now. Often in trouble, a little reckless and irresponsible. Life's one big party to her but, you know how it is when you are twenty-four."

"I was in the military on my fifth combat deployment with enough duty performance points in demonstrating competence, military bearing, and leadership to lead my platoon at twenty-four. I have never been reckless."

Jona swallows thickly, his eyes going shifty. Austin scares him and it scares Austin how much he likes that he instills fear in Jona or anyone he comes across. His phycologist has put it down to PTSD, but she also often wears mismatched socks so Austin does not trust anything she says. He only goes because it is a requirement if he hopes to get back into the military. That's his plan.