34

Austin breaks Tiffany's front door down and then storms into her apartment with Mathew and Brice. He does not have to search for anything, it's all right in front of him. Every wall in Tiffany's apartment is covered in pictures of Angel. There are pictures of him too but they are torn or burnt. Her apartment is chaos. She had thrown a tantrum after Austin had sent her home and torn up her apartment. "What are we looking for?" Brice asks. "Something that would give us an indication of where she took her," Austin says moving bits of broken furniture. He stops when he sees a photo of two young girls and picks it up. It must be of Tiffany and Lia as young girls - they looked sweet. Who would have known of the tragic life they were to lead?

"Found Lia's head," Mathew says from the kitchen. Austin walks in and sees Mathew leaning into a large freezer. When he looks in he sees Lia's frozen head that looks remarkably like Tiffany. Such a shame, the girl had never seen it coming. She had probably tried to help her sister only to end up losing her head. Austin looks around the kitchen, stopping in front of the fridge and frowning at a picture on the fridge. It looks like a crayon drawing made by a child. He squints at it then looks at the picture of the sister in his hand. They are standing in front of a house, the same house as the one in the crayon drawing.

He pulls out his phone and takes a picture of the sisters and then one of the crayon drawing. He sends them to one of his connections before phoning him.

"Can you tell me where that house is?"

"It's a long shot, Austin."

"I didn't ask if it would be hard."

"It will take me some time. When do you need this by?"

"Yesterday."

Austin hangs up and walks into Tiffany's bedroom. She has mounds of Angel's clothing scattered around her bedroom and on her bedside table is a stack of unsent letters - the same type of letter that had been sent to Jona for Angel. Tiffany's white walls are covered in angry black writing. Thoughts of how she intends to kill Austin for taking Angel's affections from her, thoughts of being with Angel, and most chilling - thoughts of what she will do with Angel once she gets her alone. It's not a good outcome for Angel. Tiffany intends to be violent, believing Angel will need to die for her to keep Angel. Austin shivers at the words. He needs to get to Angel, now.

"There is nothing here but the insane rambling of a woman that has lost her mind," Brice says poking his head into the bedroom. Austin agrees. Tiffany's mind was too far gone to leave any logical plan as to where she had taken Angel. Austin will have to rely on gut instinct - he thinks she has taken her to the house in the picture. But, he has no address and no idea where the fuck the house is. He walks back into the lounge and scans the room again looking for any clues but his eyes land on a blue ribbon hidden amongst a pile of crumpled balls of paper. He walks over to it and kicks the paper away then stares down at his medal. His medal that he keeps in his bedside drawer at his house.

Tiffany had been inside his house. He gets chills at the thought of her being in his house and then shivers at the realization that if Angel had not insisted on moving Phoebe in with her Tiffany would have gotten hold of Phoebe too. Phoebe would be dead. He bends and picks up the medal, thumbing the sharp edges of the star-shaped medal before turning it over.

Through conspicuous gallantry and
intrepidity at the risk of life
above and beyond the call of duty.
Austin Post

Is the inscription on the back. He had been made to stand in front of a room full of his peers as they applauded him. Later they called him brave, a good man, one that is fearless and showed valor. He had always felt fearless, not actively, he had done so with very little thought and assumed it was just the way he was wired. But, he is not fearless. Not anymore. His chest burns, and his muscles shake with the fear that courses through his body at not knowing where Angel is. Knowing she is not safe. When it comes to Angel Austin is a fearful man, a terrified man.