30

Angel had lied straight to his fucking face. She had not even blinked when she said she would behave.

It was a lie.

She is not behaving.

The insane woman is currently throwing knives at a man spinning around on a wooden turn table. She is not very good at it because he has two knives buried in his thigh. The man is so high he feels nothing and congratulates her on her keen aim as she doubles over in laughter then closes one eye and aims another knife at him. Austin can tell it will go straight into his hand. But, as long as it's not her on the turn table he will watch silently, disapprovingly, but silently nonetheless - he picks his battles when it comes to Angel.

"My bad!" Angel shouts as the knife nails the man's hand to the turn table. "You are all good, Angel. Nice throw!" the man calls back, laughing. Austin is not sure if he is laughing out of joy or shock. "Look, I am just going to say this out loud - I don't think I am very good at this," Angel says to the group of people around her. They all groan and shake their heads, a chorus of denial falling from their drunk lips. "You are all very kind," Angel says smiling then puts her glass down - Austin is not sure what's in it but he can see the alcohol fumes from where he is standing. "My turn!" Angel announces and walks towards the turn table.

"Nope," Austin deadpans, grabbing her hand and pulling her to his side. "Oh, you big baby! It will be fine. Lynsey is a pro knife thrower," Angel says. Austin looks over at Lynsey who is stroking the knives on the table as if they were puppies - she is also asking them what their names are. Austin thinks she is sober, therein lies the problem. Everyone here, including Angel, is batshit crazy. "No," Austin says tightening his grip on Angel as she wriggles. He knows she won't back down, she never does so he takes the knives from Lynsey and lets Angel go.

"Go on then," he challenges her. Most women would get a little nervous with the way he is staring her down, but not Angel. She squeals in excitement then rushes over to the turning table and gets some famous guy to strap her up. "Spin me, Jarrod!" she shouts once he is done. Austin sighs and watches as Jarrod pulls down hard on the spin table,  sending Angel into a blurry frenzy. Austin listens carefully to where her giggle is coming from so he knows where her head is, he calculates where the rest of her limbs are from there then throws five knives at her, one after another - he can hear when they all hit the board. He has not touched her. Of course he would not have - his aim is impeccable.

The crowd around him all grow silent as they watch Angel come to a slow stop on the spinning table. Each knife he had thrown is jammed into the wood perfectly between her limbs and either side of her head. The crowd stays silent for a second and then roars as they clink their glasses together. "You are amazing!" Angel says looking at each of the knives. "Do it again!" she demands. Austin shakes his head and walks over to her, he will keep her strapped while he talks - it's the only chance he has of keeping her in one place.

"We are done now, Miss Knite."

"What? Why? I have behaved all night!"

"When?"

"Austin you just threw a shit ton of knives at me. That was very irresponsible! You are out of control!"

"You fucked around with a flame thrower five minutes ago."

"Yes, but I didn't set anyone alight."

Austin sighs heavily. This entire party is ridiculous. In the backyard, around the pool, is a circus - a real circus with acrobatics, aerial acts, a contortionist, and clowns walking around on stilts. Juggling, plate spinning, and an asshole rolling around in a globe. There is an elephant and a fucking lion, monkeys too.

Inside is no better with fucking knife throwing, fire eating, sword swallowing, and a short fat man convincing anyone insane enough to partake in being shot out of his cannon as  human cannonballs  - Angel has been eyeing it. There are drugs on every shelf, liquor on every table, and people fucking in corners. Angel's father is BBQing ribs and her mother has started a poker tournament in the dining room under the painted ceiling of them fucking. The buy-in is five hundred thousand - everyone has brought cash so there is five million dollars sitting in the middle of the dining table.