𝐆𝐫𝐮𝐛𝐡𝐨𝐠 𝐃𝐚𝐲

"During Grubhog Day, Sprig has to decide whether to uphold his responsibilities or have fun at the carnival."

--------------------------------------

Wartwood was unusually crowded today. This is all because of the attractions that were now open and working with might and main. Apparently, today was some kind of holiday.

You, Anne, Sprig, and Polly were walking among the stands.

— Carnie games? Fair food? Why can't it be like this all the time?

— Welcome to Grubhog Day, Anne! It's the one day a year that no one works, and the whole swamp cuts loose. It all leads up to a big ceremony where the Grubhog pops out of his official stump!

— And let me guess, predicts the weather?

— How'd you know?

— Believe it or not, we've got the same thing in my world.

— Grubhog, schmub hog. The best part of this holiday is the vomit-inducing, death-defying, unforgettable... RIIIIIDES!

— The best part of any holiday! — you said with excitement.

— That's what I'm talking about!

You all ran towards these rides until Hop Pop jumped out of the bushes in front of you.

— Not so fast, kids!

— Hop Pop, wha-- what are you doing hiding in the bushes?

— Uh-- I'm not quite sure myself, Anne... but never mind that, great news! Ralphie Underbrook has the plague!

— That's horrible!

This was clearly not great news...

— Oh, he'll be fine. But now, something has to take care of the Grubhog, and I volunteered you, Sprig.

— What?

— This is a big deal. The last Plantar to do it botched the job so bad, we shunned him for life.

— Botched it?

— Let's just say he got hungry..... and he ate it.

— Ew.

— Isn't this exciting? You'll have to miss the fair, of course, but it's for a good cause. Come on, boy. Do it for the family. What do you say?

— Weeell... I-- uuuuuh... — Sprig obviously didn't want this, but... — Of course I will! There's nothing more important to me than family. Rides are for dum-dums anyway.

— That's my Sprig! I knew I could count on you. This guy, everyone! This guy!

***

Now you were in a tent, inside of which was the same Grubhog in a cage.

— Oh! He's so cute. Like a little sock puppet!

— Careful. It spits acid.

And just at that moment, Grubhog spat on the floor, spitting out acid, which caused a hole to appear on the floor.

— Don't stare into the abyss, Anne. After all, it stares back...

You decided to accept this "challenge."

— I want to look into the abyss, — you pressed against the floor, looking into the black void, feeling cold from there.

— [Y/n], you better not do what you don't have to do, — Hop Pop grabbed your cloak, pulling you away, to your dismay, — You got that costume on yet, boy?