chapter 9

Chapter 9

Jing Sheng smiled politely at the old man and his granddaughter, 

"Since these are fresh and good side fish how about 50 copper" 

"65!" 

"50 copper" the man looked at Jing Sheng

"55 copper" Jing Sheng said, "55 coppers I hope you can understand Mr. Chen: But my children are young and they need good care. I can't go under 55" Jing Sheng spoke determinedly.

The old man gave him a sour look but then sighed, "Hmm, fine. I've always said and I always will say it war is pointless if the country suffers like this, the little people are always struggling on their own and this war just takes away important family and hope, my granddaughter here only a stupid child but her father my son was taken leaving behind a cripple with a cane to take care of her" the man stomped his cane upset.

"Grandpa, don't say that!" 

"Little Mei was sick! She was sick!"

Jing Sheng understands the old man's frustration, seeing Mr. Chen worries and fears in his eyes. He could probably guess what the old man was fretting about. Mr. Chen was obviously not a vigorous man and his health is probably not the best, his only grandchild was so young that she could be bullied harshly and periods like this where gents and girls are oppressed what's not stopping the little girl from not falling victim to the vicious intentions of others.

"Ah, whatever, you young ones have your own struggles than to listen to the ramblings of this old man" old man Chen sighed. 

"I understand, I have two children and one the way, as times go by and the wars go on things become tougher, right now I have to constantly worry about food, clothes and shelter. my children are young and they already know what harsh hunger feels like, what's it like to be in the bitter cold without warmth they can't climb trees are play with friends cause they are too busy wondering when will be the next time they eat they must savour the energy they got they are young but already has it tough". Jing Sheng pulled the two kids on each side closer into a hug. "Times will only get tougher, but all I can do is try my best and make the best out of a situation and teach the knowledge I know and how to survive and pray for the best. Because a parent or guardian can only do so much yet so little".

Old man Chen looked into Jing Sheng's eyes, then at the children then he looked at his grandchild, he then nodded in understanding.

Chen Jinhai stared at his mother, this was something entirely new within his personality. His mother was somewhat of a distant person, if he was sad he did not tell if he was angry he didn't show and was always smiling saying 'everything is fine'. If cut he hid it, if sad he hid it. 

Even after his father was taken his mother kept smiling, this made Chen Jinhai feel a bit angry. What was to be happy about? When food was gone he smiled and said things will be okay they can just eat tomorrow or he will go look for things for them to eat, if his tummy hurts which happens from time to time he went on like nothing baring through the pain saying the baby is fine your siblings fine.

At some point Chen Jinhai started to doubt himself for thinking that anything was wrong with his mother, after all he reacted to nothing, not when he came in with clothes torn not when he fetches water not when washing their clothes not when seeking food not when working the entire day and still find time to cook he was always fine and happy, and so Chen Jinhai turned a blind eye.

But it was one late one night he got up for a late night pee and decided to check up on his mom and he was missing from his bedroom he went to look for him only to find him outside weeping to the sky on his knees.

It was then Chen Jinhai understood that his mother didn't pretend to be fine because he was but rather he needed them to believe that they would be okay and that he needed to be strong for them. 

Chen Jinhai was angry at himself and everyone, his mother didn't deserve this. Why did the heavens hate them so much? But now it was easier to understand his mother. He was still smiling but it was obvious he made them more aware of the situation.

It was after collecting the money did they say goodbye to old man Chen and walk back to the market with the Yu brothers. Jing Sheng was contemplating on what to buy, he could buy seasoning and some food, flour and rice would be adequate. Also, salt but sugar would be too expensive. But he can't do any careless spending. He needed money for this baby, he could fish more, then an idea stuck. 

He could sell his bait to fishermen, he could make extra and sell it to fishermen cause with this body he can't do much. He also needed to go to the forest but he was pregnant, Yu Hang looked at him who seemed to be deep in thought. 

"Are you buying anything?" Yu Hang inquired 

Jing Sheng looked at him as he snapped out of his thoughts, "oh, yes" 

Jing Sheng turned to shops on the side of the road, "give me a moment please" 

Yu Han nods, Jing Sheng turns to his oldest son Chen Jinhai. "Watch your brother please, and stay together" 

Chen Jinhai looks up at his mother and nods obediently, Jing Sheng nods heading towards the shop. Even if not much he will buy something so the children can eat properly at least, as an elder who works hard to raise 3 healthy children he will do it in his powers to raise them as well.