Chapter 22

Chen Chuanli sits on the floor with a stone in hand a sword in the other he place it on the sword. Soon he begins to rub the blade with the stone sharpening it his eyes dims looking at it, then he is thinking to himself he is sharpening this blade to take another life. 

As he was about to delve in thought heart skips a beat, he feels something in his chest. He doesn't know what but it feels familiar during the times his sons were born. He stops sharpening the sword for a moment then breathes with nose in the air. He remembers back to when he was dragged off to training grounds…

Chen Chuanli was scared he looks at his sergeant holding his stomach, he had been knee kicked in the stomach harshly. Chen Chuanli could feel the pain in his lower stomach. 'It hurts…' 

"What Do You Think You Are Doing Private Chen?" 

The other soldiers looks at him worried, soon the sergeant takes the sheathed sword then hits him in the back of the knees causing him to fall to knees then be kicked in the face. 

"THIS IS WAR! NO TIME FOR HESITATION!! IT'S KILL OR BE KILLED, DO YOU HEAR ME PRIVATE CHEN!!" 

"Yes…" 

The sergeant towards over him, "well I don't hear you, what did you say?" 

"YES SERGEANT!!!" 

The sergeant stood up, "good, Mark my words private don't hesitate in war or you might return to your family a corpse. You shall stay up tonight, no food and water for the next two days" 

"Yes sergeant!" 

Chen Chuanli stands then salute the sergeant as he leaves he peaks at the corner of his eyes to see the other men looking at him in pity, whenever it came to hitting the last blow Chen Chuanli always hesitant this infuriated their superiors because Chen Chuanli though hesitant was excellent and fierce and could do wonders if he is given the right position but would he get a position with his freckle heart. 

Now it was the superiors goal to break Chen Chuanli's soft heart. And because of this he faced many hardships on the training grounds.

Snapping out his thoughts Chen Chuanli looks behind fully guarded, but once he saw it was the prince he quickly drops on knee bowing his head as he faces the ground. "Your highness," 

The prince looks at him pleased with himself, over one of the soldier's eye was a well wrapped bandage hiding his injured eye but the other eye was all he needed to see to understand this man.

"Private Chen, you had excellent results on the training but your rank never risen." 

Chen Chuanli bites his inner cheeks, there was no need for him to raise in ranks all he needs to do is survive and go home to his family. But how is he supposed tell this to these people? 

"I'm not worthy…" 

"Your results says otherwise, I've seen you with my own eyes warrior Chen Chuanli your placement do you no justice." 

"You praise me too much…" 

"Am I?" The prince grins humorously.

"..." 

"Private Chen, henceforth you'll be fighting alongside my men. A good soldier such as yourself can't be wasted do you dare refuse this prince?" 

"No, your highness," 

"Good, I'll be leaving now." 

The prince turns around leaving, Chen Chuanli stands looking at the dented sword. He looks at the eye that was reflected at side, surviving just got harder after all he will be fighting alongside a prince and his warriors. 

Chen Chuanli falls back tired, he looks at his trembling hands with pain. These hands took many lives, the lifes of husbands, fathers, brothers and sons. His son Chen Jinhai is only twelve within a few more years if this war goes on he will be ageable for war, which burns Chen Chuanli's heart. He prays that this will not happen he prays that his family is okay.

"Private Chen," 

Chen Chuanli turns to see a man walking towards him, he then offers him a sword. "His highness has given this to you," 

Chen Chuanli looks at the blade long and hard, this sword is well polished and sharpened obviously new and well made he looks at his sword that was old and fill with dent not mention beaten up. He takes the sword from the man, "thank you". 

The man nods then looks at the old sword, Chen Chuanli saw his gaze. "Don't worry I'll keep it," 

The other soldier didn't understand but he nods taking his leave, as the soldier leaves he heard the whispers of other soldiers.

"Why would his highness give him a sword? My sword is barely stable enough to cut paper," 

"I saw him praying over the corpses of our enemies," 

"Who does he think he is? A Buddhist?" 

The two soldiers laugh as they give Chen Chuanli a mocking gaze.The soldier looks back at the unphase Chen Chuanli sharpening the dull blade, he feels curious about this man? He is not even interacting with anyone. Feeling the stare in his back he looks at the soldier still standing there, he pauses sharpening as he stares. 

"Is there anything else?" Chen Chuanli asks politely.

"Why not give me up on that sword? Clearly dented beyond repair".

Chen Chuanli tightens his grip on the sword, "no thank you, I'm okay".

The soldier doesn't understand but thought he had a strange attachment to it which is intact true as the former owner was the one who saved his life and lost his in turn. Chen Chuanli was grateful therefore he will make it to the end with this sword by any means necessary. Even if it means fighting with two swords.

Notice

So bad news, my ideas are coming in slowly so if you notice I haven't been giving my promise 2 chapters per month so for a while it will be one until I get my spring of ideas. So when I get that spring I'll probably publish about 4 in one month then get back on track with 2 updates per month but now it's only gonna be one sorry.

And being sick doesn't help at all.

Also found his theme song I like I think it fits him