chapter 12

Jing Sheng holds his stomach and groans as he tries to relax, he puffs as he breathes heavily from the hard labour of pulling the ropes of the fishing net, Chen Jinhai looks at him but he nods reassuring the small child that he is well.

Jing Sheng needs to be careful or he might go into labour any second now. He looked at the net filled with fish, but then saw this aggressive twisting and turning. Jing Sheng smiles brightly.

"We scored big this time boys!" 

Chen Jinhai looks into the net, he smiles as he takes the small bucket that he carried with them, he goes into the net and starts taking the crab and small shrimps. He then hands it to Chen Jianyu and shakes his head.

"Jianyu doesn't like crabs, they are scary," he refuses.

Jing Sheng tilts his head, Chen Jinhai frowns.

"But you love to eat them?" Chen Jinhai snarls, "all eat and no work, when dad was here you're the first one to eat crab now you don't like tsk, tsk" 

Chen Jianyu's eyes swell with tears, Jing Sheng holds Chen Jinhai's shoulder. "Jin, don't scold your brother so harshly, live crabs pinch very painfully and if he is not careful he will be pinched".

"It won't pinch him, he is just trying to avoid chores" Chen Jinhai.

"Oh Xiao Jin let your brother carry something else then" 

"Like what? The eels? His hands are two small and it's still too wet to grip and the bucket is too heavy. He carries simple crab and shrimp. I'm carrying the eels, you're carrying the fish and net," Chen Jinhai said.

Jing Sheng sighs, "let him carry the net" 

Chen Jinhai nods, then puts the bucket down and fixes the net in his brother's arms. 

"The net smells" Chen Jianyu complains

"It's this or the crabs," Chen Jinhai scolds him.

Chen Jianyu pouts, as they take up  their individual bucket. Though the walk to the market took a while, Jing Sheng was happy when they finally reached.

Today the market seems relatively busy so they had an easier time selling fish to the local people. The eels were sold to some cook shops for a good price but one eel remains as Chen Jianyu wanted eel for dinner.

Jing Sheng started to walk around some more to buy seasoning, he didn't buy meat and sugar they were too expensive so he bought bread and eggs instead. He then went to a clothing shop to buy some retail clothes. Because they were pressed on money he only bought one suit of clothing each and a cloth for when he has the baby. 

He didn't buy any clothes for himself, still thinking of needing other stuff for the house. 

After they were done and ready to go home, Jing Sheng on the way met the Yu Brothers once more. The Yu Brothers seem to have caught a wild pig in the forest and they had tied its leg to a wooden stick and carried it in the hands of Yu He is a Pheasant in the hand of Yu Hang were two hares. 

Chen Jianyu then tug the end of Jing Sheng's robe, "Mommy I've changed my mind, I want meat instead" 

Jing Sheng looks at him, "No, mommy already spent too much to buy the meat you wanted eel, we shall have eel".

Chen Jianyu pouts with arms crossed,"but I want meat".

Yu Hang smiles then stretch to offer one of the hares, "please take one".

Chen Jianyu then smiles when hare has been offered. 

Jing Sheng smiles then politely raises a hand, "I appreciate your kindness, but no." 

Yu Hang was not offended, instead he smiles in understanding, but Chen Jianyu stomps his foot, upset and shakes. Chen Jinhai ruffles his head, "another time we eat meat" 

"We eat lots of meat when dad is here, we never eat meat when dad is gone. Now there is meat, why can't we eat it?" The little boy complained.

"We ate lots of meat because dad is a hunter mom is not, should we eat older brother's meat. Tsk, tsk, haven't dad taught you not to be greedy for other people stuff, tsk, tsk, shame, shame". Chen Jinhai gently pinch his cheek as the young shakes him off.

"Boys, please behave" Jing Sheng said calmly.

"Yes mom" 

Jing Sheng then thinks for a moment then ask, "brother Yu, may ask a favor?" 

"Yes" 

"After the little one is born, may ask to join you on one of your hunting occasions?" 

Yu Hang looks at his brother then at him, "of course" 

"Thank you, I'll make sure to pay you" Jing Sheng smiles 

"No need" he said. 

"Aiya, let me not waste more of your time" Jing Sheng said waving.

Yu Brothers nods and said their goodbyes, Jing Sheng smiles of he could search the forest for some wild plants he is sure he can make something from it or if he could catch a wild pig he can raise it for butchering.

"Now let us return home boys"

The boys nods as they pick up their stuff and continue their journey home, when walking up the small hill to their cottage Jing Sheng saw two human figures standing at the front door.

Getting a closer look he saw that it was his in–laws, he holds his stomach as he reaches up the hill. Before the old lady could say a word her eyes fell into the bucket in Chen Jinhai's hand and then looks into Jing hand that had the shrimps and crab, she smiles a gleeful smile as she turns to Jing Sheng.

"Son-in-law I see you finally came back, this old lady was waiting for you" 

Jing Sheng nods, then put the bucket aside and cup his hand. "Mother in law, brother in law please come inside, I'll put on something so we can all it" 

'You're quite literally skin and bones' 

"Thank you such a good son in law" she smiles at him happily.