chapter 13

The old lady Chen, Chen Chuanli's mother, was a very kind lady who treated Jing Sheng with open arms. Looking at the old lady who seems to be barely clinging to life, he can't help but feel pity for this woman, during 5 to 6 months months of pregnancy it was because of this lady's involvement in the family that didn't all die of starvation even if it was to the dissatisfaction of her husband.

The thing was Jing Sheng and Chen Chuanli's marriage wasn't always smooth sailing in fact, Jing Sheng's father in law Chen Da Peng didn't like him simply because his parents where travellers and origins not clear and the fact that became an orphan the old man felt that Jing Sheng was even more unworthy. 

The old lady Chen however was proud of her son who married someone who can help the family as Jing Sheng knew how to read and write which could educate the family she saw the brighter side of the arrangement but with the objection of her husband it made Chen Chuanli's marriage difficult leading to the father disowned his second son. Chen Chuanli left with heads high and built a house of theirs up on the hill a bit away from the village, as if his old family was bringing him down Chen Chuanli's became prosperous quickly and was able to take good care of his family. 

While Chen Chuanli's was in bad spirits with his father and brothers, his mother was a kind spirit who still make an effort for him, and so he took good care of her whenever she came.

"I'm sorry son, you're pregnant you should be resting" she said.

"No worries, no worries, I'm sure you're hungry and so is brother in law" 

The old lady was really ashamed, she was so hungry she couldn't help but be excited at food that didn't belong to her. Her family was suffering, her eldest son went off to war and her husband was now in bed from pain in the back, leaving all the burdens of the provider on her last son who wasn't that great at hunting, her daughter in law and son in law  tries to find other jobs but could only make measly coppers that wasn't enough to feed five children, and five adults a whole of ten people. 

"Ah Yan, help your brother, he's pregnant after all," the old lady Chen said.

"No, I'm okay, really" 

"Please this old lady doesn't feel good watching you work so hard" she states.

Le Yan walked over carefully taking the bucket, it was a good thing that Jing Sheng kept some extra fish or he'd be embarrassed that he couldn't help the rest of the family. Though it wasn't enough to feed 10 people he must make it work somehow.

"Xiao Jin you and your brother go bath make sure he washes properly" 

"Hmm" Chen Jinhai nods, "see you soon grandma uncle Le" 

"Clean up well dear children" she chuckles.

Chen Jinhai nods once more escorting his brother outside, leaving the adults in the kitchen. 

"He looks more and more like his father everyday, I'm sure he'll be a great huntsman as well" the old lady Chen said.

Jing Sheng smiles, to him this person she speaks of is a stranger but the memories he had were indeed precious as if watching an old camera video. He knows the type of man Chen Chuanli and it's really sad that the person he is returning to is not the one whom he loves.

Carefully taking out the parcel of rice and putting it on the stove to cook, he went back to cleaning the fish and mincing it in small pieces so it's much easier to share. Le Yan follows his instructions in how to mince and properly mince the fish while he prepares the eel, the shrimp and crabs where for tomorrow so he left it in the bucket under the table. 

"I'm done," Le Yan informs.

Jing Sheng nods then went to sit at the table, "Thank you" 

"No need, no need!" He shakes shyly 

Le Yan seems timid in nature and bashful, Jing Sheng can't help but think this one's husband must've bullied him a lot, he knows he would. Le Yan was smaller than him, his bangs were long so it hid his pretty dark eyes that had long lashes. Though underweight he still kept his baby fat on his cheek, the way he played with his sleeves was really cute. 

"Mother in law, I'd like to make a fishing arrangement that helps both of us," Jing Sheng said.

"Yes?" 

Old lady Chen had heard that for two days in a row Jing Sheng had caught many fish and sold them in the market. If Jing Sheng offers to help them out and give them some fish in exchange for working then she doesn't mind.

"I'm catching fish and selling them in the market. I could ask for Le Yan's help in catching fish. I cannot pay much at the moment but I will provide some of the catch to the family if you don't mind" 

"I don't mind at all!" Le Yan chimes.

Getting regular food, who dares to refuse! Even if there is no money they could still eat! He dares not refuse.

"Ah Yan calm down, your brother in law is not running away" old lady Chen said.

"Sorry, sorry, it's just that the children are so hungry that I…" Le Yan droops.

Jing Sheng touch his shoulder, "I understand, I felt the same way, now that I can fish properly I won't be worrying for a while" he said, "I'll try to help out the family as I can brother Le" 

"Brother Jing is very kind hearted I'll repay him best I can"

Jing Sheng smiles, he then holds the chair handle then gets up he stops the concerned onlookers as he walks over to the table to check the pot. It was a lot of rice. Their rice was done but he shall buy more tomorrow, for the children. 

A/n

How come no one is commenting?

It's just dead? Are you guys bored?

Or there is nothing to comment on?